Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is needed to start the application process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much is needed to start the application process

I am in the process of improving my credit and waiting for my 2nd year post bk, 3 trade lines all paid on time for 12 months , trying to save for a down payment although I have my 401k for almost 19k as of this date.. question is how much do I really need to start aside from the down payment and closing cost... fees, etc?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much is needed to start the application process

@Anonymous wrote:
I am in the process of improving my credit and waiting for my 2nd year post bk, 3 trade lines all paid on time for 12 months , trying to save for a down payment although I have my 401k for almost 19k as of this date.. question is how much do I really need to start aside from the down payment and closing cost... fees, etc?

I wouldn't touch my 401k for anything. You'll need that money in the future, and it may also have tax implications.
Message 2 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

If you plan on buying using fha, which is the lowest down payment option available, then 6% is about right
3 down and 3 closing costs. You may negotiate with the seller to cover the closing costs but you should have some reserves - not required - but stuff comes up

Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The stuff that comes up almost immediately are earnest money, appraisal fee and inspection fee.  I also had a pest inspection.  All within 3 days of accepting the counteroffer.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your responses, it helps a lot.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brian, i have read on some post that the seller is paying the closing cost.  How do they do that, wiill the LO ask the seller or the borrower is the one negotiate with the seller?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.