Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much would $2,000 a month get us???

tag
anemo
Contributor

How much would $2,000 a month get us???

Hi to all!

I wanted to know how much would a budget of $2000 a month for a home get us?  Can I get a home for at least $400k

Also Me & wife are debt free with a net income of $5,600 a month, credit is  630 middle score.

Also we don't really wont to put money down if we don't have too, can we get away with that?

Starting Score: 300 TU 300 EX
Current Score: 704 TU EX 700
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: How much would $2,000 a month get us???

what would the taxes run on a $400k home?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 9
anemo
Contributor

The area we are looking in runs about $7k to $10k

Message 3 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It appears the taxes are about 1.75% to 2.5% then.  If the taxes are 1.75% of the sales price, assuming a 5% rate, 3.5% down, FHA loan, you'd be looking at a cap of about $275k, P&I is $1424.59, insurance $75, taxes $401.04, mortgage insurance $122.03, total of $2,022.66/mo.  If the taxes are 2.5% of the sales price, it'd be more like $250k.  On a $400k home, taxes of $7k, you are looking at about a $2,900/mo payment.  More of a down payment would lower the P&I portion of the payment.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 9
anemo
Contributor

Ok,

Another ?, property taxes are based on the sale price right? Or square footage?  If you have a house that's was originally $400K based at 1.75% to 2.25% but now is $275K and those taxes were based on the first sale price can you ask to have the tax modified? (I'm in Illinois)

Or do you know what Matteson IL tax rate is?

Message 5 of 9
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

Property tax is based on the county tax appraisal. The county has an appraiser that goes out every few years (or more often) and appraises the property. Square footage is considered, although sales prices really is not. You can call up your local property tax office and ask them how much the tax rate is.
Message 6 of 9
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

just adding that you may want to do some online searching or you can call the tax office and see if tax records are available online. In my state you can search online for all properties and find out exactly what the county has it appraised for and exactly what the taxes are, along with sales history and a bunch of other stuff. Real estates agents can also check for you if you are working with one, because the MLS usually lists what the taxes are.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

rkymtgrl

Just to clarify, property taxes are not always based upon appraisals.  In Cali they are based solely on the previous sale price of the home unless you petition for a change in the tax amount based upon home value dropping.  They do not come out every few years and re-assess.

Message 8 of 9
anemo
Contributor

Thanks for the advise!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.