cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's the market in your neck of the woods?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

How's the market in your neck of the woods?

We bought our house 8/2011 for 150K and are looking to refinance to get out of FHA/PMI.  The agent next door told me to hold off until the two houses around the corner sell - both going for 225K !!  (Of course, one was gutted and totally remodeled, the other has the view).

There is a shortage of houses and prices are rising every day here in Oregon.

I also didn't want to refi until our scores were 740+, but that's not looking like it will happen soon due to our recent debt consolidation.  Need to pay that down.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How's the market in your neck of the woods?

The market here in Florida is booming. We just don't have any inventory so anything that comes on the market has mulitple offers right away, especially if it is in the under $300k range.

Message 2 of 15
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Here in the Dallas area it is insane.

Message 3 of 15
jadeite788
Established Contributor

market going up in Houston, and yeah i noticed

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 15
adymax
Contributor

Chicago area as well. We just sign a contract to build a house because of this, we can close only in October (had a deed in lieu) and  we looked for newer houses for the last year  but inventory desapared and prices went up. This way we locked the price and we know in December the latestt we'll move in our new home.

Message 5 of 15
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Houses under $300,000 are going very fast on Hilton Head Island.  However, there are quite a few available that are over $500,000 but I've only been pre-approved for $220,000 so it is going to be very tough for me.  There are quite a few condos but I really don't want to go that route.  I'm pretty set on a house so that I can have privacy.  Off island, there are also quite few houses available, but because I am on call for work, I need to stay on the Island which is where my office is.  My current lease is up mid-January, so I have plenty of time, so I keep hoping for new inventory to be listed.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 6 of 15
Elcid89
Contributor

Westchester County never really took a dive in the first place and has remained pretty steady

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 7 of 15
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I put an offer in on a home here in N.E. Florida and it had requests for 8 showings in the first two days. I was the first one in and made an offer right then..I really think the seller had regrets on giving me closing costs though.  I've also locked in my rate

I would have to seriously consider the merits of waiting because it looks like the interest rates are not going back down. 

Message 8 of 15
Elcid89
Contributor

@tammyjk wrote:

I put an offer in on a home here in N.E. Florida and it had requests for 8 showings in the first two days. I was the first one in and made an offer right then..I really think the seller had regrets on giving me closing costs though.  I've also locked in my rate

I would have to seriously consider the merits of waiting because it looks like the interest rates are not going back down. 

The bigger concern is that there are rumblings that the Fed is going to stop or significantly slow its repurchase activities. That will leave lenders faced with seeking private capital to make up the difference, and in order to get that they'll have to offer better terms than what the Fed has been propping up. If they have to pay more to obtain capital, they'll charge you more for lending it to you.

So best guess is that rates will begin noticeably ticking up beginning sometime around September.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 9 of 15
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Good points about the interest rates - how long are we going to stay this low?
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.