cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can I apply for a new mortgage after a foreclosure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon can I apply for a new mortgage after a foreclosure?

I have a foreclosure that is approx. 2 years old.  How long do I need to wait before I can apply for a mortgage?  And do all lenders have the same timeframe? 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How soon can I apply for a new mortgage after a foreclosure?

No BK questions so I'm moving this to the mortgage and loans forum.
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: How soon can I apply for a new mortgage after a foreclosure?

123123 wrote:
I have a foreclosure that is approx. 2 years old.  How long do I need to wait before I can apply for a mortgage?  And do all lenders have the same timeframe? 

FHA requires 3 years from foreclosure unless there were extenuating circumstances that can be documented - then FHA can be OK with 12 months from the foreclosure.  Freddie Mac requires 3 years from foreclosure as well, Fannie Mae just requires 2 years from foreclosure but in a couple months they will start to require 5 years from foreclosure (and I have a feeling Freddie Mac will soon revise their guidelines to require 5 years as well).  There are some sub-prime lenders that will be OK with a foreclosure only a year old but the down payment requirements are huge (read: 15-35% down) and interest rates are high (read: 9%+).  What was the cause of the foreclosure?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.