Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to check inquiry?

I am shopping for mortgage rates and it was my understanding that inquiries within 14 days calculates as one and would not affect credit score much. I applied for a pre-approval 2 weeks ago and it increased the count in my credit score by 2 (lowering the score by 5). I applied again at another place yesterday and it increased the count again to 3. My credit score went down to 39 points at Equifax. 

Here is the timeline to make it easier.

1) 5/24/2016 - applied for mortgage (declined) - inquiry count 1 (4 points lowered)

2) 10/31/2016 - applied for mortgage - inquiry count 2 ( points lowered)

3) 11/13/2016 - applied for mortgage - inquiry count 3 (39 points lowered)

As you can see that last 2 inquiries were within the 2 weeks span. Why would it count separately and hurting my credit that bad?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to check inquiry?

Are they coded the same as in :Mortgage inquiry or is one coded something like Misc inquiry. Sometimes they do that but also the inquiries themselves seem to me to be a problem as in Too many recent inquiries even when done within 2 weeks by the same company with the same coding. Just what I have seen with my own report.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They show as Miscellaneous (all of them). I am not sure what can be done here? Should I contact the credit bureaus about it?

Message 3 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

never seen 1 inquiry drop scores that much. 

maybe something else changed?

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Already checked multiple times and nothing else changed yesterday but the inquiry.

I am assuming it's due to the fact that there is a inquiry bracket [1 - 2] considered good and [3 - 4] considiered fair.

Message 5 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

never experienced this.

did you try the credit forum?

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't. This is my first time here. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also where did you check your scores??
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked my scores at myfico.com

Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Posted on the other thread but for reference:

Mortgage inquiries have a 30 day grace period anyway, so your inquiry count would be 1 currently as the 10/31 pull hasn't passed that.  To DLG's point 37 point loss on a FICO algorithm for an inquiry is unheard of, I'd be looking at another culprit like a dispute that processed or some other change.

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.