cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to finance remodeling on brand new house?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to finance remodeling on brand new house?

I just closed on a house two days ago and it needs some work done, about $15,000...what is the best way to pay for this work? There's no equity, so that's out. I have the money available on my credit cards, but I'm at about 40% UTI and I don't want to push that higher if I can help it. I'm considering a PLOC or Personal Loan with Navy Fed or NASA Fed, I'm a member of both. I've also thoguht about the SunTrust Lightstream Anything Loan, or even a Title I loan. Does anyone have any experience with this or the products I've named? How likely is it that I can get approved after just getting a new mortgage (its' with First Choice)? Any ideas are welcome! My current FICO numbers are 640/666/645. Thank you!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

Re: How to finance remodeling on brand new house?

Do you have any vehicles that are paid off? My husband and I recently took out a secured loan against his paid off car - 3% and got $17,000. I used mine to pay off high interest credit cards - saving me a lot of money!  

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I just closed on a house two days ago and it needs some work done, about $15,000...what is the best way to pay for this work? There's no equity, so that's out. I have the money available on my credit cards, but I'm at about 40% UTI and I don't want to push that higher if I can help it. I'm considering a PLOC or Personal Loan with Navy Fed or NASA Fed, I'm a member of both. I've also thoguht about the SunTrust Lightstream Anything Loan, or even a Title I loan. Does anyone have any experience with this or the products I've named? How likely is it that I can get approved after just getting a new mortgage (its' with First Choice)? Any ideas are welcome! My current FICO numbers are 640/666/645. Thank you!!

For a small loan like the $15k, a PLOC is a good choice as long as you get a good rate and the terms are something you can handle. It is better than a loan secured by the property.

I haven't used the Lightstream loan, but see others in different parts of the forum have and they have good reviews. Check it out first with the people that have used that loan. Don't let them tie it to your home though.  

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.