cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my second mortgage removed? Paid in Full...

tag
mrchamp103

Re: How to get my second mortgage removed? Paid in Full...

I also meant to add, what if the HOA would have kept it "owned" for 5-10 years and I was not aware of it. How can they get away with getting free money and fees if rented when no mortgage is owed since i already received a release of mortgage. This could have easily led to me not getting a CT for 5-10 years later not knowing what happened and they reap all the benefits.
Message 21 of 27
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@mrchamp103 wrote:
Well let's make sure we are on the same page. The BANK itself sent me a final foreclosure letter in which it stated that on 6/09 it was going to sell it at a public auction. It seems that the HOA bought it at an auction on 6/09 and then became the owner. I say this because after 2009 that is when the HOA seemed like it was the "owner" and sent me ANOTHER foreclosure letter ALSO stating that it will be in auction again in 2011.

1. If the bank already sold it at an auction in 2009 (which I believe because how else will the HOA be the owner suing me and the bank foreclosured it in 2009 and stated it was going to auction) and the HOA bought it, then why aren't they legally the new full owners? They accepted all responsibilities at the auction including foreclosure, liens, etc..

2. How is it legal that the HOA be a "temporary" owner and rent out the property? What if something illegal would of happened after I figured it was sold, I would have been legally liable for any thing under my name.

3. Why wasn't a CT be given to me in 2009 when the HOA I believe bought it at auction? Why wouldn't it work like any sale (let's use a car example). Once you transfer property from one owner to another, a title always has to be done and given to prove who an actual owner is and registered too.

If the bank had f/c originally in 2009 (full foreclosure done correctly) then a CT would have been issued at that time. I am not saying that there couldn't be an error in the record. But, from what you describe, the bank did not correctly complete their f/c in 2009. In fact, it looks like they started the f/c and then the HOA ran in a did a f/c and the bank didn't complete their f/c until 2011. Hard to tell without looking at documents.

When the HOA f/c it is NOT a regular puchase. All they are doing is f/c on the lien they have from past due HOA fees. If you owned the property free and clear at the time the HOA f/c, then the HOA would own the property officially and without a cloud on the title. However, most of the time when people lose their homes to an HOA f/c, the same people have a mortgage that is also unpaid which creates the cloud on the title.  The bank still has the right to f/c on their mortgage lien and when they do, they own the property. In order for the HOA to own it without a cloud on the title the HOA would have had to pay off your mortgage lien. The temporary part only comes in because the HOA didn't pay off your lien or clear the title. There is a whole process to clearing the title that most HOA's don't do - that's why the ownership is temporary, it allows for the bank to come in a finish their f/c.

What is different about your events is that the bank issued a release of mortgage at some point during the two foreclosures (HOA f/c and bank f/c). That is something you should speak to an attorney about to see if this is the final f/c and why you have had to go through this second f/c after the bank had already released their lien.  (Usually this is a result of an error in the f/c process).

A transfer of a property is the same concept as a transfer of a car title. But there are a lot of ways someone can mess up the process when transferring property (for example people on this board are continually transferring properties with Quit Claim deeds - one of many ways to mess up a title).

When you have a f/c involved (or two f/c's by two different entities on the same property) it is incumbent upon the buyer to make sure they are getting clear title. The HOA's don't care. They take the bad title's because they only need a limited amount of time to collect their fees and attorney fee's. The HOA knows that the title is bad, they don't need a good title to rent it out. (BTW, I don't agree with the process, just stating it for what it is now) One of the things the buyer has to do after buying at auction is to clear all liens and encumberances on the title after the purchase. That takes time and money. It is done after the official auction. HOA's are not likely to do this step at all.

I sell f/c's (I'm a Realtor) and one of the things that I see on many foreclosures is bad title. Banks trying to transfer without clearing the liens or even clearing the f/c mortgage lien! Many closings have had to be delayed to get the title work corrected. Most banks will not voluntarily correct the title without an attorney from the buyers side pushing them to do it because it costs the bank money and time to clear the lien properly.

Back to your situation: have a good real estate attorney look at your entire file from the first notice and all documentation through to the last date. You may have a case where the CT should have been issued when the mortgage was released. Maybe not. But talk to a knowledgeable attorney that handles real estate (not a consumer attorney or general attorney). Get one that is familiar with f/c's in your state. See what remedies you have, if any.

Message 22 of 27
mrchamp103

Thank you for all your help and yes i am taking this to a good attorney that can hopefully help me with this.

I am the type of person that does not give up easily (i wish i was like this when i was younger and had the properties) and i have been putting everything together with a time stamp. Below i am going to show what has happened with links to document and maybe you can help.

5/11/2009

Bank sends me a Final Judgement in Foreclosure which has an auction date. Take a good look at #6 which states if the bank is not present, then an auction does not take place. Then wouldn't an ROE happen in that case or does a foreclosure NEVER happen if the bank NEVER shows up?

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewAttachment.jsp?docName=20090268385&id=DOC408S5852.A0&par...

6/15/2010

I receive a Release of Mortgage from the bank. I expected this was due to the foreclosure processed happened on 5/11/2009. Why would they send me a Release of Mortgage if the property was still not foreclosed, wouldn't this have meant that i would have owned the property for free then?

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewAttachment.jsp?docName=20100345038&id=DOC630S25384.A0&pa...

7/29/11

I receive a lien for a partial amount from the HOA. This is straightforward.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewAttachment.jsp?docName=20110397436&id=DOC827S897.A0&pare...

5/11/12

HOA sends me a Final Judgement in Foreclosure for the amount of the lien which has an auction date. Property sold at auction on 6/12/12.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewAttachment.jsp?docName=20120249446&id=DOC977S1793.A0&par...

7/10/12

I receive a CT. This is what i do not understand, how can the HOA have a CT for the full property when they only foreclosed on the Lien Amount to foreclosed me on and not the full amount of the mortgage which again was paid off.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewAttachment.jsp?docName=20120361689&id=DOC991S34391.A0&pa...

6/15/13

I receive a Release of Mortgage on the second mortgage i had on this property.

I hope there is a lawyer in this forum that can help me out because the disconnect I am having is how can the HOA come in and sell their lien amount yet take full custody of the property? Has a foreclosure not happened yet? Am i still i primary owner of that property? All i want to do is move on and buy a house for me and my family and I feel that everything has dragged or fell through the loophole. This just keeps on dragging on and dragging on and this process has started in 2008, 5 years later i still can't seem to get rid of this property and move on with my life.

Message 23 of 27
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I see you and I are both in Florida. You need an attorney just to make sure this is the final f/c.

The first thing I notice is that the initial f/c was done by David Stern - he has had his attorney license revoked by the state of Florida for fraud. Google him to get details. The best advice I can give you is get a good attorney and put this issue to bed. In Florida the lender can come after you for the deficiency for 5 years after the f/c. You have a unique situation with the recorded release. Make sure the attorney represents borrowers and not banks. Don't get one of the large "mill type" firms either. PM me if you want the name of a couple of good real estate attorney's in S Fl.

Message 24 of 27
mrchamp103

Greatttttt information thank you so much for the information about David Stern. From what I have read that he has done, and who (his assistant) signed the forms, it is exactly what happened to me. I looked over all my documents and it all matches exactly to the fraud that was reported that he was doing. I am going to find a lawyer next week and see if I can get this issue resolved. I am hoping that:

1. Best case scenario - I still own the property, have a release of mortgage, and can take back what was rightfully mine for free. =)

2. I can get a notorized letter stating that the foreclosure did happen in 2009 but was never recorded by the clerk of courts and a new CT can be given to me.

3. I looked at a 12/12 experian credit report that i pulled in which it SPECIFICALLY states that it was foreclosed in 2010. Why was it so obvious in that report and now no oneeeeeeeee seems to know what is going on. Hopefully the lawyer can get this all fixed and fast.

StartingOver10 thank you so much for all your help, information, and knowledge so far. I will def. keep you posted with what happens so you can share in the future.

Message 25 of 27
mrchamp103

Latest Update:

I found out that the bank never foreclosed my property even though they have been reporting that in my credit report for the last 3 years. The bank actually "charged-off" the property in 2010 and for some reason or another i received the Release of Mortgage a few months after the charge off. Does this make sense to anyone?

I contacted the bank to fix the error and they have changed the reporting from "foreclosure" to "charge-off" status. My questions are:

1. Is a charge-off status better than a foreclosure when it comes to my score?
  2. If this never foreclosed, and i received a Release of Mortgage, how did the assocation send me a CT after they foreclosed on their lien?
  3. By the HOA foreclosing on their lean and sending me a CT, does this mean that they own the whole property value?
  4. Finally, and most importantly, CAN I GET A LOAN THROUGH FHA WITH A CHARGE-OFF FROM 2010?

Thank You.

Message 26 of 27
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I can answer question #4 for you - No, FHA won't give you a new mortgage without the recorded CT passing from you to the bank. The time period begins from the date of the deed transfer.

You really should speak to an attorney about your specific situation. S/he can guide you as to the legal issues you face. Bring your documentation so you can have a productive meeting with a good real estate attorney.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.