Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get your name off a title?

tag
mandab5
Valued Member

How to get your name off a title?

I am posting this question for my fiance.  After his divorce approx 7 years ago, he was left with the house.  After being unable to afford it, he filed Chapter 13, which included the mortgage.  He made all payments on time and his BK was discharged as of may 2015.  The problem is the bank has been sitting on his old house for almost 7 years.  The house was up for auction in May, but did not sell.  The hosue is rescheduled in June.  What is the best way for him to get the title out of his name so we can move on with our lives.  Also, since his BK13 is over, is he responsible for making mortgage payemtns again?  Need some suggestions.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to get your name off a title?

@mandab5 wrote:

I am posting this question for my fiance.  After his divorce approx 7 years ago, he was left with the house.  After being unable to afford it, he filed Chapter 13, which included the mortgage.  He made all payments on time and his BK was discharged as of may 2015.  The problem is the bank has been sitting on his old house for almost 7 years.  The house was up for auction in May, but did not sell.  The hosue is rescheduled in June.  What is the best way for him to get the title out of his name so we can move on with our lives.  Also, since his BK13 is over, is he responsible for making mortgage payemtns again?  Need some suggestions.  Thanks!

This is a more difficult question than it first appears to be in your post.

1) Was his Bk 13 discharged or was it dismissed?

2) Was the property included in his Ch 13?  I assume so, but the question needs to be asked.

3) How was the property treated in the Bk? Did he surrender the property?

As you can see, the very best person to answer this is his Bk attorney - that will be the most accurate advice.

Since he is so close to having the property removed via auction this month, it is best that he waits for the auction to conclude. Have your fiancee get details from his attorney. He is almost there...

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.