cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase my MORTGAGE credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to increase my MORTGAGE credit score?

It didnt seem right to me at all either, but that wasthe only change. And the collection is new.It just got put on this year (even though the incident was over 4 years ago) but yea the LO didnt seem too concerned about that.I guess we will see where I am once these dispute comments get removed and go from there.

Message 11 of 22
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

This happened to me when I first started looking for a house.  My scores on the old USAA website were over 700 on 2 and over 680 on 1.  When the LO pulled my credit, I was over 680 on 2 and at like 660 on the last one.  I was shocked but I hadn't found this forum yet.  I was still under the impression that there was one credit score for everything.  Boy was I wrong...lol

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is crazy. Luckily you were still above the 620 mark. I was only4 points over the 620 I need, so now that y score has gone down 25 points, Im sure ive gone down at least 25 on my mortgage credit score. Wish I had came here first!

Message 13 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it is crazy. Luckily you were still above the 620 mark. I was only4 points over the 620 I need, so now that y score has gone down 25 points, Im sure ive gone down at least 25 on my mortgage credit score. Wish I had came here first!

As you noted in your original post, it was probably the dispute clearing; most people dispute negative tradelines, and disputes can do whacky things up to and including discounting the entire tradeline from scoring.

Which is why you can't get a file automatically underwritten with a dispute (or a dispute remark but that's a different issue).  

Frankly we'll need a lot more information of what's in your file to optimize it, and how much cash you have to try to do it with that doesn't torpedo your downpayment.  Short term increases come down to two things:

• Airstriking derogatories (vis a vis Pay for Delete or otherwise on collection accounts, or Fresh Start on a Fed tax lien)
  • Prettying up utilization metrics

That's pretty much all you can do within a couple week time frame.

I will state though that the DTI guidelines are there for consumer protection, not to damage their chances of getting a loan; taking a mortgage that I could easily afford way less than my max DTI is almost assuredly the second smartest thing I've ever done... which came immediately after the smartest thing I've done by actually doing a real post mortgage budget; not saying that everyone should do this even though being house poor absolutely sucks, but look really hard at your budget if you have an $800 / month payment and going for max qualification: yes that mortgage interest deduction can sure be sweet, but rushing into a potentially unaffordable house isn't where you want to be.  

        
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only things I have are the 589 collections and the "bad payment history" from when I defaulted on my student loans. This actually takes up about 36 lines on my credit report. That is SUPPOSED to come off by September 17th, as my accounts have all been transferred to a new agency (which is also on my credit report but listed as current) but we will see if they actually follow through with what they said they will do.

As for the collection I have asked the collection agency to "pay for delete" even though I do not honestly believe I owe (Ive explained to them why a million times) but they refuse. My next step is to call again and ask again (ask for a manager if need be).

I have no credit cards. I am an authrorized user on two of my moms credit cards that she has had for ten years. I guess my next step could also be to open a secured card myself.

As for the DTI, I understand why they have it. And youre right I am a little antsy to get the highest loan I can because I do want a nice house. However, my student loan payment is not 800 a month on my salary. It is AT MAX 300 and no more. So, what the LO suggested I do, was get off my deferrment and request an Income Based Repayment from my student loan creditor. Then, I can show that my Debt will be 300 or less and not 800, which will be calculated into my DTI (might be a lower laon amount, but itll be more realistic for my future). But the new rule starting Sept 14th is not realistic and basically just punishes people that have student loans and want a house because they make the debt so much higher then it really will be. And even if my student loan repayment WOULD BE 800 a month after I graduate, my salary will also be much higher and I would be able to afford such a cost, if that makes sense, but theyre calculating that 800 into my current salary BEFORE I graduate which doesnt make sense and why I was trying to avoid it.

But I completely understand your point. Ive been paying rent for the past 3 years now so I know how much I can afford. And from the calculators Ive done I will significantly save by buying a house versus renting. But thanks for the advice as I will definitely go over a post mortgage budget!

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like m response about the new DTI rule was confusing - so let me say in more or less words,

The new DTI ratio would be adding a debt to my current income that I do not have to actually pay and by the time I actually will owe any of that debt, I will have a much higher salary and it will not be as much as they are anticipating.

So I feel ill be getting jipped out of a house I CAN actually afford because its factoring in a debt that I actually do not have to pay.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing I can't understand is why you would start the process of buying a house and it all be a guessing game as to where you scores were/are. This is myfico.com. It is a great investment to spend the $30/month to actually know your Fico scores of all versions so you can plan the process before even heading to meet with a LO. That's doing your due diligence and being on top of your own financial affairs to avoid being blindsided or taken advantage of. 

Before starting the house buying process, you need to get your financial house in order. You want the house to be a blessing and not some curse or nightmare that you struggle to pay, while paying on student loans, utilities, car note, insurance etc. And depending on where your actual and not guessing scores are, you may or may not be ready to buy a house. 

I'd advise you to start at the beginning. 

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was not a guessing game as to where my credit scores are/were because, as you can see from the title of my thread and others on this post, mortgage credit scores are different then credit scores and as people have stated, even those who bought the myFICO scores, ended up having different mortgage scores. The reason why I started the process was because I obviously did not know that there were different scores to begin with. But after hearing from others, there was still a difference in scores whether you bought myFICO or not.

And my finances are in order, which is why I was able to pre-qualify, as I stated. The only issue right now is my mortgage credit score, due to past missed payment on my student loans that, as I said, are expected to fall off mid September so I am confused as to what you are talking about. I do not pay student loans as I am deferred until 2019, But when I was paying, I paid $5. I pay ultities now, and have been renting for 3 years, never had a late payment. And my mortgage will be about the same. I do not have a car note (car paid off), and my insurance is 40 a month. So, I am very much ready to buy a house.  I am unsure how that was even into question. And I know how much I can afford because, as I said, I have been renting. Even with my mortgage credit score as it is, I can afford a house. However, in order to get the best rates and the down payment assistance, I need to up my mortgage credit score, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I do know my mortgage scores NOW, which I listed in my original post so i am not guessing anything. I am not sure how you missed all this information. However, Thank you for your concern.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditkarma.com does not show FICO, they use Vantage 2.0

here is a link https://www.creditkarma.com/article/vantageScore

I was very excited about my score on Creditkarma.com but then learned the difference the hard way.  

My scores 2 years ago were less than 600 and I have used secured cards and then a car loan along with disputing some old items to raise my scores.

Now:

Creditkarma:  TransUnion 739, Equifax 749, Experian (not shown)

MyFico 8: TransUnion 717, Equifax 667, Experian 698

Creditkarma Vantage 2 is a very different scoring system and not widely used.  Myfico.com has been a much better tool though not free.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP...I wasn't going to even comment further, but your response called for it. The fact that you would use Creditkarma scores as the basis for applying for a mortgage underscored my point about taking care of the first things first or the basics. Sometimes we take things too personal, when the truth is offered. My intention was to underscore the need to do one's due diligience before embarking on such a difficult venture as buying a house and that's not using the questionable scores of CK as the basis for mortgage shopping. 

I wish you the best. I hope you find a great home and a great mortgage offer. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.