Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sell

tag
Hox
New Contributor

How to sell

This may not be in the right section but.....

I want to sell my house due to a new job (military).  I bought in 2009 but since then the market went even lower in my area so im upside sown on my house if I were to sell it today, almost like 15-20K upside down. 

Are there anyways around this to be able to sell with out having to cover the margin out of pocket?  Are there any programs to help with this?  What are my options?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Justin

08/19/09 - LO Pull EX 707 TU 687 EQ 654
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to sell

A short sale is when the sales price (market value) is less than the outstanding mortgage.

Are you saying the market value is less than the outstanding mortgage or that after your costs you don't make back your down payment?

Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

A short sale, deed in liue, and foreclosure are all scored the same by FICO.  Fyi.  I know that doesn't answer your question.  I have a friend at work doing the same thing.  She wants to retire and move, had an offer on a short sale but backed out bc she didn't want to screw up the credit.  Good Luck to you.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
namvet
Established Contributor

I agree with the other posts.  A short sell may be your best option.

Message 4 of 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

You really have four options, to summarize the above posts:

1. Short sell your home. This will ruin your credit, but is the only real way to disregard the difference between your mortgage balance and sales price. You may have to pay taxes on the foregiven amount though, as it may be considered income.

2. Rent your house out until your mortgage is paid down far enough.

3. Don't sell your home.

4. Sell your home and pay cash to cover the difference between sales price and balance owed.

Unfortunately, home prices took a dip and people who didn't make significant down payments on their homes, live in certain states where prices dropped precipitously, or had mortgages that intentionally set them up for disaster (interest only loans, 80/20 loans, etc.) are in trouble now. You do have a couple options though.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.