cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will this affect me getting a mortgage loan

tag
PEKKCoJo

How will this affect me getting a mortgage loan

I've lived in my parents home and all the bills I paid were in their name. So I don't have rent receipts, how will this affect me when I apply for a mortgage? Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dzemboc77
Established Member

Re: How will this affect me getting a mortgage loan

What bills do you have in your name ? Mostly credit ? What is your scores at ?

You need to have some credit to get credit. I leanred this the hard way when rebuilding. For years I figured if I didn't have it then I couldn't screw up and my score would slowly go up WRONG!!!!!!!!  

I'm going FHA and hopefully close in 30 days. For house hold bills they really could care less its all about what reports on your credit report.  Car Loan, Credit cards, personal loans are all things they want to  see with a good 2 year paymment history. Besides the obvious factor of a decent credit score.

Message 2 of 5
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I made the same mistake after my foreclosure.  did everything in cash/debit card.  It was when I was going to move I figured I had been living on cash for 3 years my score should have recovered some.  WRONG and the my fico rebuilding board taught me alot.  

As you say you have to use credit to have a good credit score.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 3 of 5
los_west
Regular Contributor

+1

I agree with the previous poster.    Most lenders want to see you have good credit history and a nice mix of different accounts.

Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@PEKKCoJo wrote:

I've lived in my parents home and all the bills I paid were in their name. So I don't have rent receipts, how will this affect me when I apply for a mortgage? Thank you for your help.

From your previous posts it appears you have had a prior bankruptcy & your husband had tax liens, so 12 months of re-established credit for both of you is going to be a requirement if you both want to be on the mortgage.  Rental history isn't a requirement, so the fact that you don't have rent receipts is probably not going to be a big deal... but if you don't have re-established credit then you need to start that up as soon as possible if you are looking to qualify for a mortgage sooner rather than later (I see you were looking into qualifying for an FHA mortgage a year ago, so hopefully you have that re-established credit already).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.