Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will this work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will this work?

My fiance and I are looking to buy a home in the next year or so.  His credit is outstanding, mine is pretty weak. My average FICO is around 600.  I am afraid that I will be turned down for a mortgage, even if we apply jointly.  Should he just apply? He also makes about 3 times as much as I do and we are planning for me to be a stay at home mom once we begin our family.  I am in the rebuilding process and it's comming along, but it takes time.  What course of action would be best for us?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How will this work?

If your fiance's income is enough to qualify for the mortgage amount that you'd like, then his applying alone probably is the better move.

Message 2 of 5
trdmlc
New Contributor

And in case you were wondering, you can still be on the deed, just not the mortgage.

Starting Score LENDER PULLS (02/23/10): 587 (TU) 554 (EQ) 562 (EX)
Current Score LENDER PULLS (07/02/10): 651 (TU) 645 (EQ) 669 (EX)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Yeah, his income is high enough and he has a few rental properties.  Additionally, we have roughly $40,000 to use as a down payment, so maybe him applying alone is the best move.  Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You'll have to be married in order to be permitted on the deed at closing, otherwise it's just a random person being added to ownership of the property.  I agree with having him apply by himself, you'll get dramatically better terms.  Mortgage financing goes by the lowest scores out of all applicants, it's not like auto financing where a strong borrower cancels out a weak co-borrower.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.