Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Messed Up

tag
llexx
Established Member

I Messed Up

I applied for a mortgage and everything has been going well. The settlement date is on 7/21/2017. Somehow in all the stress and excitement of buyung a house and excrutiating pain from a back and shoulder injury (which isnt an excuse) I forgot to make a payment to my student loan yesterday.  

I am so crushed and disappointed with myself. 

Will this affect my loan? How should I address it? 

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I Messed Up

how many days late from your due date?

Message 2 of 11
llexx
Established Member

My due date was yesterday 7/12 I just realized and paid it today.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

hahaha, you're fine! nothing to worry about :-)

Message 4 of 11
llexx
Established Member

Really??? I just shed a bucket full of tears at my desk.

Should I let anyone know? 

Message 5 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@llexx wrote:

Really??? I just shed a bucket full of tears at my desk.

Should I let anyone know? 

Nope. Just make the payment and thank your lucky stars you remembered early enough that it won't hit your credit report Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

long as it posts before you hit over 30 days. 1 day late is not going to affect you at all like others have said.  Do student loans have late fees? That is all you need to worry about. 

Message 7 of 11
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

It would be less stressful if you set an autopay up for recurring loan payments.  I have autopay on all my credit cards, mortgage, auto loan, utilities, etc., it just makes it easier and puts the onus on the creditor to make sure he is paid.  Some people don't like to do that because they feel they are giving power away, but I've never had an erroneous payment made.

Message 8 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Watchmann wrote:

It would be less stressful if you set an autopay up for recurring loan payments.  I have autopay on all my credit cards, mortgage, auto loan, utilities, etc., it just makes it easier and puts the onus on the creditor to make sure he is paid.  Some people don't like to do that because they feel they are giving power away, but I've never had an erroneous payment made.

Nope.  Nothing transfers to the creditor as far as responsibility goes. It is a good idea to have the autopay - but it is still the debtors responsibility to make sure that the creditor took the payment on time. You can't push an error in autopay over to the creditor.  That's why you have to check your accounts yourself each month. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

This does not put the onus ont he creditor to get paid.  Most say we are not responsible if you overdraft or you do not have enough funds to pay the bill.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.