cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking for advise on what to pay down, or just bank the extra... ideas appreciated!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking for advise on what to pay down, or just bank the extra... ideas appreciated!

I had a remarkably good year financially (over now, 2009 will be back to norma - much less income, but still enough to keep things goingl). Here is the situation and question:

House in CA = 6 years into a 15 year fixed at 5.25 - mortgage $1770 month - value (after slide) $650K - leave it alone.

Duplex in New Orleans (rental) - rent $2100 - refinancing in progress to bring principal, interest, taxes and insurance to $1650 - before refi mortgage was $2075

Second on CA Home to pay for down on New Orleans house - $50K @6.75

$400K in 401K = Now in MM so should stop the slide

$122K in cash MM

$38K in Credit Union

$40+in checking account (temporary, good comission checks)

I save $1500 cash, max my 401k and pay all cc debt every month. Fico's from 806-819.

So, do I pay off $40K of that 50K second with the money in my checking account? That's my inclination. I know it's a tax write off, but the MM's are at 2.5-3.5%...

Am I on track? The reason I wonder is everyone is talking about hanging onto cash and in my situation I just think killing off the $50K @ 6.75% makes sense...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I am looking for advise on what to pay down, or just bank the extra... ideas appreciated!

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a remarkably good year financially (over now, 2009 will be back to norma - much less income, but still enough to keep things goingl). Here is the situation and question:

House in CA = 6 years into a 15 year fixed at 5.25 - mortgage $1770 month - value (after slide) $650K - leave it alone.

Duplex in New Orleans (rental) - rent $2100 - refinancing in progress to bring principal, interest, taxes and insurance to $1650 - before refi mortgage was $2075

@second on CA Home to pay for down on New Orleans house - $50K @6.75

$122K in cash MM

$38K in Credit Union

I save $1500 cash, max my 401k and pay all cc debt every month. Fico's from 806-819.

So, do I pay off $40K of that 50K second with the money in my checking account? That's my inclination. I know it's a tax write off, but the MM's are at 2.5-3.5%...

@am I on track? The reason I wonder is everyone is talking about hanging onto cash and in my situation I just think killing off the $50K @ 6.75% makes sense...

Wow, you're in pretty good financial shape!  Good nest egg, lots of cash, great interest rate on your primary residence with what seems to be a good amount of equity.

Not much to suggest, but if I were in your position I'd pay off that second loan.  After factoring in the tax deduction for the interest, you're probably paying around 4.5% in interest.  After taxes, your MM is yielding less than 2%,

After paying off that loan, you could hedge your bet by opening up at HELOC.  With your credit scores (and with the assumption that you have a hefty amount of equity), you should be approved with a good interest rate.  HELOCs have variable rates, and I'm guessing that most banks have eliminated below-prime HELOCs for new accounts, but if you did have to tap the line in the near term, it would be at a lower interest rate than 6.75%.  And the interest could still be tax deductible.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I am looking for advise on what to pay down, or just bank the extra... ideas appreciated!

@Anonymous wrote:

$122K in cash MM

$38K in Credit Union

@am I on track? The reason I wonder is everyone is talking about hanging onto cash and in my situation I just think killing off the $50K @ 6.75% makes sense...

If by MM you mean money market then please reconsider keeping all of your 401k in a money market.  You really need some growth from that money and 3.5% isn't even going to keep up with inflation.  Seriously, unless you are in retirement and don't plan on living more than 10 years, I don't think you're taking advantage of your situation.  You will miss out on great growth opportunities.  If you haven't done so, now might be a great time to seek advice from a professional.  

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thanks for the reply! I agree that MM is a bad idea for anything long term. When things started to slide (lost $155K in a VERY short time) I tried to stop the slide by moving into Money Markets. I intend to get my 401K back into equities in the next time frame. I'm just wimpy about losing any more for the moment. I'd like to see more about what will happen in the next few months, then make some changes.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm on track with the idea of getting rid of the $50K. I do have a $240K HELOC on the California house. The NOLA place has about $110K equity right now based on the appraisal for the re-finance.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.