Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to buy a house next year..

tag
annah
Contributor

I'd like to buy a house next year..

I would like to qualify for a mortgage next year. January/Feb is the goal, but realistically, we wouldn't be moving anywhere until the school year is over, so June 2013 is the deadline. We would like to move to a small town in Minnesota. We will be working with my husbands credit, since he has the job, and my credit history is worse. I have some questions that I would really appreciate some help with. Husband's income is around $35k. We would be shopping for a house in the $50-$90k range. He has been at the same job a bit over 5 years. His hours were cut, and we couldn't pay our bills for a time. We made a large payment on our car, to help increase our monthly cash. For the first time in years, we can afford to start paying down debt. We live in a mobile home, and just made the last payment on the balance. We still have to pay lot rent, but the sale of the mobile will give us a little cash later on. We have approximately $400 a month that can be spent towards debt. I also just got a job, which will bring in another $950 after I pay daycare, but I don't want to rely on that money as part of a debt-paydown stragedy, I'd prefer it to be extra cash.

Current credit:

We just got our tax return, and paid off all but $700 on our car. It deferred the payment date, so our next payment is due 10/13.

Husband currently has an overdraft line of credit, $3000 limit, maxed.

we have a joint line of credit, $1000 limit, maxed.

Credit card: $3500 limit, maxed

Credit card: $300 limit, $250 balance

Student loans, in payment status, but owe $0 per month, as part of their new income based repayment plan.

Collections (all 3 years old):

1 judgement owe $1900

1 loan, $2900

1 credit card $1000

I know all of this will need to be payed down to virtually nil prior to getting a mortgage. Between our new extra monthly cash, my new job, and next years tax return, it should be able to be paid down. But I can't figure out what order they should be paid in. We have 0 savings, so I will first put some money aside for emergencies. 

Should we pay off the judgement first, since it could potentially end up with wage garnishment? I assume we should pay collections before paying down current debt, but I'm afraid to. Since they seem to have forgotten about us, I'm afraid to make a small payment and then have them file for judgement. Should we wait to pay until we have the cash for the full amount owed?

I know having a "settled" is worse for the fico than a "paid in full" but will a lender deny us if the accounts are merely settled?

We should be able to have $10k for a downpayment. If we can get his FICO into the low-mid 600s, will that be sufficient, or do we need to plan on more cash?

When buying a house out of state, do we apply for a mortgage where we are now, based on his current income, or try to move first into a rental and get a job in the new state? It is my assumption that we would qualify here, and then go out of state to house shop.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: I'd like to buy a house next year..

@annah wrote:

I would like to qualify for a mortgage next year. January/Feb is the goal, but realistically, we wouldn't be moving anywhere until the school year is over, so June 2013 is the deadline. We would like to move to a small town in Minnesota. We will be working with my husbands credit, since he has the job, and my credit history is worse. I have some questions that I would really appreciate some help with. Husband's income is around $35k. We would be shopping for a house in the $50-$90k range. He has been at the same job a bit over 5 years. His hours were cut, and we couldn't pay our bills for a time. We made a large payment on our car, to help increase our monthly cash. For the first time in years, we can afford to start paying down debt. We live in a mobile home, and just made the last payment on the balance. We still have to pay lot rent, but the sale of the mobile will give us a little cash later on. We have approximately $400 a month that can be spent towards debt. I also just got a job, which will bring in another $950 after I pay daycare, but I don't want to rely on that money as part of a debt-paydown stragedy, I'd prefer it to be extra cash.

Current credit:

We just got our tax return, and paid off all but $700 on our car. It deferred the payment date, so our next payment is due 10/13.

Student loans, in payment status, but owe $0 per month, as part of their new income based repayment plan.

1 judgement owe $1900

1 loan, $2900

1 credit card $1000

I know all of this will need to be payed down to virtually nil prior to getting a mortgage. Between our new extra monthly cash, my new job, and next years tax return, it should be able to be paid down. But I can't figure out what order they should be paid in. We have 0 savings, so I will first put some money aside for emergencies. 

Should we pay off the judgement first, since it could potentially end up with wage garnishment? I assume we should pay collections before paying down current debt, but I'm afraid to. Since they seem to have forgotten about us, I'm afraid to make a small payment and then have them file for judgement. Should we wait to pay until we have the cash for the full amount owed?

Tough call.  If the judgement isn't collecting interest and they aren't currently pursuing a garneshment I would pay off the cards that are adding on interest.  If the judgement starts rearing it's head go ahead and knock it off.

I know having a "settled" is worse for the fico than a "paid in full" but will a lender deny us if the accounts are merely settled?

All they are concerned about is that the debt is settled and a judegement won't be obtained and affect them getting paid for the house or a lien obtained.  Sure it doesn't look as good but it really doesn't amke a difference.

We should be able to have $10k for a downpayment. If we can get his FICO into the low-mid 600s, will that be sufficient, or do we need to plan on more cash?

FHA is likely what you are going to be using and you only need 3.5% so that cash is more than sufficient and will give you cash for moving and new furniture as well as reserves.(which banks love to see)

When buying a house out of state, do we apply for a mortgage where we are now, based on his current income, or try to move first into a rental and get a job in the new state? It is my assumption that we would qualify here, and then go out of state to house shop.

That's a good question.  I would imagine they are going to want you to have a job at the location your going to be moving to before giving the loan, they want to be paid afterall and a job is crucial to that.  As long as it's in the same line of work a month or two of check stubs should be sufficient.

Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@annah wrote:

Current credit:

1 judgement owe $1900

1 loan, $2900

1 credit card $1000

I know all of this will need to be payed down to virtually nil prior to getting a mortgage. Between our new extra monthly cash, my new job, and next years tax return, it should be able to be paid down. But I can't figure out what order they should be paid in. We have 0 savings, so I will first put some money aside for emergencies. I agree that you need some money in savings.  You do know that your scores are being killed with your utility, right?  Pay them all to zero and let a small balance report on one account - 1-9% of it's limit, for max FICO.  You don't need to get this specific until about 2 months before you apply though.  In the meantime, use the snowball method and pay down your debt.  I don't think you would qualify DTI wise with this much cc debt.

Should we pay off the judgement first, since it could potentially end up with wage garnishment? I assume we should pay collections before paying down current debt, but I'm afraid to. Since they seem to have forgotten about us, I'm afraid to make a small payment and then have them file for judgement. Should we wait to pay until we have the cash for the full amount owed?  If it was me, I would pay this first.  I would also try to convince them to file a "motion to vacate" for you once this is paid off.  They might or might not do it, just offer to pay any court costs associated with it.  Let them know this will be your #1 goal to get it paid off ASAP - offer to pay AS MUCH AS YOU CAN EACH MONTH to get it paid off ASAP - this might convince them as they want your money.  Then the judgment is gone!  You also might have more room to negotiate the "motion to vacate" if you do have the money to offer it right up.  Again, this would be my first priority.  others may have different opinions.

I know having a "settled" is worse for the fico than a "paid in full" but will a lender deny us if the accounts are merely settled?NO because it will say "legally settled" .  Better yet, try to get PFD's going with the collections.  Start w/ the most recent and work backwards, as the most recent are hurting your scores more.  How old are the collections?  Some lenders require collections to be paid and some not - so you could POSSIBLY just wait to work on collections once you get going with your lender and do what they tell you, but have the $ - but PFD'ing takes time, so if you want them gone, you should start on that ASAP.

We should be able to have $10k for a downpayment. If we can get his FICO into the low-mid 600s, will that be sufficient, or do we need to plan on more cash?   There are conventional loans that go as low as 5% from what I've read.

When buying a house out of state, do we apply for a mortgage where we are now, based on his current income, or try to move first into a rental and get a job in the new state? It is my assumption that we would qualify here, and then go out of state to house shop.  Changing jobs during the mortgage process will kill the deal, I'm almost sure.  I'm not sure about qualifying in one state to buy in another.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
annah
Contributor

Yes, I know that the utility is hurting the credit score. With so little extra income though, we had no choice but to use credit cards for the necessities. I expect once they are paid off, his fico will be high enough to qualify. 

My plan is to put up money for savings, then start snowballing in whichever order is the best. The credit card collection is very close to being out of SOL. Probably have 2 or 3 months left. I know that won't get them off the report, but at least the worry of another judgement will be gone. Maybe I will have a leg to stand on to ask for a PFD on the credit card collection once the SOL is up. 2 more years on the loan, so no hope on that one. The DOFD was incurred around the same time, almost 3 years ago. I don't think there has been any other negative acitivity in that time frame, except the judgement for the old account. Possibly 1 late credit card payment, but that would be all. 

From the little I have been able to find out from searching online, you can't buy in a different state for an FHA loan. The area we are looking at would qualify for a USDA loan  too, but I'm not sure if the rules are the same.

I wonder if he were to get a job offer from somewhere there prior to applying, if that would be sufficient...

Message 4 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@annah wrote:

I wonder if he were to get a job offer from somewhere there prior to applying, if that would be sufficient...

You'll need a month or two of stubs first.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.