cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't get it- how can Rapid Rescore hurt my score?

tag
Juniper117
Contributor

I don't get it- how can Rapid Rescore hurt my score?

I spoke with a lender today. I just paid my utilization from 90% to 5%, and will report as such at the end of the month. The lender said RR can sometimes hurt your score...how?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: I don't get it- how can Rapid Rescore hurt my score?

If something changes for the worse then the score will drop.  I'm not trying to be a smart- there isn't anything about the process itself that will hurt the score.  It just updates the info faster than letting it report as usual.

Message 2 of 6
Juniper117
Contributor

So...why wouldn't I go ahead and do it? The lender made it sound like there could be unintended consequences. There is no reason why I wouldn't want to go ahead and RR it instead of wait another month for it to update on its' own?

I KNOW that I don't qualify now. And I think I should qualify after the utilization reports. So should I go for it or not?

Message 3 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I can't grasp the concept that the new balances reporting earlier than they should would hurt anything.

I think you should ask said lender how it could hurt, bc maybe he knows something the collective "we" don't about how RR works.  I have yet to read a post where someone actually posted the results of the RR.  Lots of people talk about  it but don't come back to report, or like myself, ended up not having to RR bc the scores came up on their own.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the rapid rescore process itself does not and cannot hurt the score.

what can? a new collection popping up for example.....

you see, after the item is updated... a new report is pulled and scored.

something changes on the report other than the item being updated and you could have problems

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Rapid rescore also counts as an INQ which can cause you to lose a few points but not always. YMMV

Have to remember even though when applying for a mortgage the INQ's are grouped together for a 45 day period and only counted as 1 INQ for scoring purposes. Until that 45 day period arrives those INQ's are counted separate for scoring purposes. Once that 45 day period arrives they are then grouped together according to how FICO ties the INQ's together. If you are pass the 45 day period then it will count as a new INQ.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.