Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love my mortgage broker, but....

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I love my mortgage broker, but....

I absolutely love my broker. He has been working with me since May 2013. He told me EXACTLY what I needed to do to improve my credit score, he is knowledgeable, encouraging, and professional.  I started submitting docs for USDA 12/12/13, and had a pre-approval on 1/2!!  Too bad the builder wouldn't budge on his over priced homes...lol  So, now, I am moving to a different area (for work) and my income disqualifies me for a USDA loan in DE.  I am over the income limit by $900....UGH

My broker has suggested I go conventional or DE bond program. I am on a mission to get my CS up as high as possible before he pulls my credit again in mid-April early-May. Ryan homes in DE is offering a "free" morning room and rec room if I go with their financing. I would have to give up my broker right???  

Do I explain all of this to my broker and see if he can compete with something like this??  Then go with whoever can give me the best deal??

Should I put in an application for NFCU's 100% financing on my own to compare pricing? I hear that only 700+ are approved for this loan....

I really don't want to leave him in the cold, he has worked so hard...but, if he can't give me the best deal, I will send him a gift card and thank you not and go in another direction! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
edcampbell613
Contributor

Re: I love my mortgage broker, but....

You are not out buying a toaster, this is a HUGE amount of money YOU are paying for.

Let him know what you can do elsewhere, sometimes they can match it.

Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I think that you answered your own question ... unless your broker can pay for the morning/rec room.

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ezdriver wrote:

I think that you answered your own question ... unless your broker can pay for the morning/rec room.

Morning rooms or rec rooms don't come for free.

It is very possible, even probable, that the rate and/or the fees and closing costs will be higher on the builder loan to accomodate either the entire cost or most of the cost of the rec room/morning room.

The only way to know is to get a GFE from both your current mortgage broker and the builders broker and compare the costs and rate to see.

I would be upfront with your current mtg broker and tell him he has competition and tell him what the incentive is for you.

Message 4 of 6
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

Have any kids?  Are they in afterschool care/daycare at all?  That can be used to bring down the qualifying income.  I'm just a hair above the USDA income limit for my area before my children & childcare are calculated in the mix. Just hoping your broker took that under consideration as well. 

Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

Morning rooms or rec rooms don't come for free.

It is very possible, even probable, that the rate and/or the fees and closing costs will be higher on the builder loan to accomodate either the entire cost or most of the cost of the rec room/morning room.

The only way to know is to get a GFE from both your current mortgage broker and the builders broker and compare the costs and rate to see.

I would be upfront with your current mtg broker and tell him he has competition and tell him what the incentive is for you.

Not necessarily. There are many significant business benefits to a builder [I am a sales rep for a National builder] to have its buyers' file handled by its own mortgage partner without any incremental costs to the buyer. Not a single one of my buyers has ever used an outside lender unless our lender partner could not do the loan for whatever reason. We contribute 3% of the home's final cost towards closing costs when our lender partner is used. Outside lenders just can't beat that. That said, I always encourage my buyers to do as you suggest and investigate alternating mortgage financing sources using the GFE tool to make comparisions as equivalent as possible.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.