cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm on edge now!!! Bank taking multiple offers..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on edge now!!! Bank taking multiple offers..

I submitted my offer on friday and so did another person and today I find out that its come down to a "highest/best offer" thing. My fiancee and I made an offer of 225K and we were told that it would take an offer of at least 240K to get the house. The house tax value is 435K and it went on the market at 360K in foreclosure. We have to make our final offer by wednesday and I'm thinking we will offer 240K.

I just satisfied a judgement this morning, which was a requirement to getteing our FHA loan. I'll be on edge until I finally know something so cross some fingers for me.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm on edge now!!! Bank taking multiple offers..

Wishing you good luck...
Message 2 of 16
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Best of luck!
Message 3 of 16
ArmyStrong
Frequent Contributor

Fingers crossed!!

TU: 556 12/12/08 ~ EQ: 509 12/12/08 ~ EX: 509 12/12/08
TU: 588 8/7/09 ~ EQ: 529 7/30/09 ~ EX - ?? (509 12/12/08)
TU: 619 9/01/09 ~ EQ: 608 9/01/09 ~ EX - ?? (640 FAKO 9/01/09)
TU: 626 9/30/09 ~ EQ: 624 9/30/09 ~ EX - ?? (640 FAKO 9/01/09)
TU: 659 10/7/09 LO PULL EQ: 624 10/7/09 LO PULL EX: 659 10/7/09 LO PULL
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, we made an offer increase to 240K. I guess we will know something this week since the other "people" have also made their offer.
Message 5 of 16
forgetmenot10371
Established Member

Good luck!

We had that happen on a home we offered on ( granted it was for a lot less).  We offered 90k (which is what they were asking) + closing costs. The other realtor came back and said there were two other offers and we better give them our best and final. I told our realtor that we weren't going any higher than what we offered. Well not two days after their deadline came by, he called up and asked if we were still interested in the house. By this time, a week had already gone by and we found another home.

A lot of realtors ( not all!) are playing these types of games.

Be strong!! I hope you get it Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Never, ever, trust a "realtor".  Believe me, I know what I am talking about.  Do what your heart and your "wallet" tell you to do.  Go with your gut feelings.  Realtors are on equal footing, IMO, with lawyers, you can't trust either one. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...We lost by the amount it cost for closing on the house. We and the "other" bidders went to $240K and they were picked over us because they said they would pay CC out of their pocket and we had a Homesteps coupon that would pay up to 3.5% of CC. Sucks bigtime! I finally get my judgement satisfied and get an FHA loan for $240K and someone else swoops in and gets the house last minute. Tough lesson I guess. If we would have bid 240K last friday, instead of 225K, when the other folks bid around 225K we would have the house but hindsight is always 20/20. 
Message 8 of 16
ArmyStrong
Frequent Contributor

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!! Use it as a learning experience and apply lessons learned to the next one. I just won my second highest and best bid recently, after losing a couple.The first one that I "won", the bank flat out rejected after I added an extra contigency in the counter offer and they went with the next highest. MY lessons learned? If you REALLY want it, go in close to, or already at your highest and best; leave out as many contingencies as you're comfortable with; offer more earnest money than what is asked. You really want it so show that you do. Good luck!!
TU: 556 12/12/08 ~ EQ: 509 12/12/08 ~ EX: 509 12/12/08
TU: 588 8/7/09 ~ EQ: 529 7/30/09 ~ EX - ?? (509 12/12/08)
TU: 619 9/01/09 ~ EQ: 608 9/01/09 ~ EX - ?? (640 FAKO 9/01/09)
TU: 626 9/30/09 ~ EQ: 624 9/30/09 ~ EX - ?? (640 FAKO 9/01/09)
TU: 659 10/7/09 LO PULL EQ: 624 10/7/09 LO PULL EX: 659 10/7/09 LO PULL
Message 9 of 16
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

wanderlaisilva wrote:  Well, we made an offer increase to 240K. I guess we will know something this week since the other "people" have also made their offer.

forgetmenot10371 wrote:  Well not two days after their deadline came by, he called up and asked if we were still interested in the house. By this time, a week had already gone by and we found another home.  A lot of realtors ( not all!) are playing these types of games.

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:  Never, ever, trust a "realtor".  Believe me, I know what I am talking about.  Do what your heart and your "wallet" tell you to do.  Go with your gut feelings.  Realtors are on equal footing, IMO, with lawyers, you can't trust either one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, all!

I just wanted to comment on something that struck me while I was reading this thread.  

It appears as if folks feel that imaginary "other buyers" are a common tactic used by real estate agents and banks to inflate the bid price offered by a potential buyer.

I have no doubts that some agents have employed this tactic, but IMO, most do not, especially in an REO situation.  There's no incentive for them to do that.

An agent working for someone other than the listing broker is in the dark about other offers unless informed of this by the listing broker, and would see his commission increase by only $225 (AT MOST, and probably much less) in the above scenario by recommending the increase in the offer price because there are "other buyers".  At the same time, that agent would be subject to the added risk of the sale not going through at the higher price, perhaps due to the property appraisal or the buyer not qualifying for more of a mortgage loan.

The agent doesn't get paid if his buyer doesn't get the property, so he is highly motivated to see his buyer make a successful bid.

If the agent does work for the listing broker, he is in a position to know, through his broker, if and how many other offers there are on an REO.  He may also be privy to what those other offers are, even if they were submitted by cooperating brokers.  

In an REO situation, with the property available for sale through the MLS, his listing broker knows MOST of the big picture, as MOST offers would be submitted to the bank through that listing broker.  But banks also have potential buyers that DO NOT go through the listing broker, but deal directly with the bank.  

I'm one of those potential buyers, and for the most part, I don't submit anything through a broker, so he's got no way of knowing that I'm making an offer, too.  I don't normally get involved with transactions listed under exclusive right to sell contracts, where a commission is due to the broker no matter who actually sells the property.  I look at exclusive agency listings or open listings only, as well as in-house listings at the bank.     

My point is that the bank alone has the big picture when it comes to offers made/accepted/rejected.  So, even if a buyer is working with the listing broker for an REO property, and that broker tells you there are no other offers, that may not be the case.  If the broker says there are other offers, I'd tend to believe him.  

But the bank is under no obligation to tell a broker about another buyer that they themselves are working with, in fact, it is in the bank's best interests to keep the broker out of the loop until the very last minute, and it's in my best interests as well.  

As an investor, I evaluate an REO property and then make my offer.  It's a take it or leave it offer, and if they leave it, I move on to the next property.  The offer that I've made is normally for a fast closing at a real low-ball price, without any contingencies for financing or anything other than clear title.  Sometimes, after I've moved on from a rejected offer, the bank comes back to me because the other accepted offer didn't go through as expected.  This is not all that unusual with REOs.

But if I'm a buyer who plans on living in the REO property, I evaluate it and make my highest and best offer (approximating fair market value) right at the outset if I truly want that home.  I'm not looking at the profit/loss aspect for a resell/rental like I would with other properties, so I'm not trying to low-ball it right down to the last nickel.  I want my offer to be the one accepted by the bank.

Bottom line?  Everybody wants a good deal, but if your offer isn't a successful one, you've just wasted your time.  And that "other" buyer that you don't think exists might just be me.

(I truly hope that everyone gets that house that they want, at a price that they can afford, and lives happily ever after!  I just wanted to quash some of the paranoia about allegedly non-existent "other buyers".)

P.S.  I'm not a real estate broker, but I used to be one, and I dealt with lots of REOs...it was my specialty, right up until the time that I realized buying these properties was a heckuva lot better that merely brokering them.  And I'm sorry that this post is so very long, too...

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.