Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice.

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I need advice.

I have been offered 5.125% on my morgage or 4.75% but I need to pay 1 point. It will take 43.8 months to cover the cost of this point. Does it sound acceptable?

TIA.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need advice.

Either case.

When you are figuring this take into account that you will get a slightly larger tax credit for the higher interest rate, and would be loosing interest if that money were put into a savings account.  So, if it takes 43 months to pay off the point, you are probably looking at closer to 60 months before it is a true break even deal.  If you are going to either refi or sell in under 60 months I would say keep the cash...Especially in this economy and with even the no point rate being very historicly low. 

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you plan on staying much longer than 5 years, and you have the extra cash to pay while still having decent reservs then yes.  If you plan on leaving in under say 6 years, and/or you do not have substantial reserves/savings in place I would say no. 
Message 2 of 4
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Thanks.

You mean to stay in house (which I do) or stay with current lender (which I do not)?

And an additional question. Is this point tax deductable?

TIA.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either case.

When you are figuring this take into account that you will get a slightly larger tax credit for the higher interest rate, and would be loosing interest if that money were put into a savings account.  So, if it takes 43 months to pay off the point, you are probably looking at closer to 60 months before it is a true break even deal.  If you are going to either refi or sell in under 60 months I would say keep the cash...Especially in this economy and with even the no point rate being very historicly low. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.