Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an FHA lender expereinced with FHA exceptions- SAN DIEGO

tag
MrsmSD

I need an FHA lender expereinced with FHA exceptions- SAN DIEGO

HI Everyone,

My husband and I just sold our home, and we filed for Chapter 7 about 13 months ago. We filed chapter 7 because we relocated from another state (Husbands job made him move, we had expensive medical bills from fertility, and my company went under-- It was literally the perfect storm)

We have repaired credit, paid off 2 home loans, and have $100K in reserves.

We are looking for a direct lender/mortgage broker who has expereince with applying for an FHA exception that allows us to purchase a home before 

the standard FHA 2 year waiting period.

We would do USDA but our income exceeds their limits.

Any information would be helpful. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: I need an FHA lender expereinced with FHA exceptions- SAN DIEGO

Is there a reason why you wouldn't use conventional financing?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
MrsmSD

Yes, Criteria for Conventional loan approvals state that if you have been discharged from a Chapter 7 bankruptcy for four years or more, you are eligible to apply for an Conventional mortgage. If you have had a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, it must be documented that the your credit reputation has been re-established for at least two years to be eli bible for a Conventional Loan Application.

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Ok, I didn't realize it is 4yrs for chapter 7.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@MrsmSD wrote:

Yes, Criteria for Conventional loan approvals state that if you have been discharged from a Chapter 7 bankruptcy for four years or more, you are eligible to apply for an Conventional mortgage. If you have had a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, it must be documented that the your credit reputation has been re-established for at least two years to be eli bible for a Conventional Loan Application.

This is only true of some banks, not all, and doesn't apply to most credit unions.  It largely depends on: The amount of loan you're asking for, how much you have to put down (20-50%), and current state of your credit history, and whether or not the bank/credit union "sells" their loans or keeps them in house.

I'd spend a day or two calling around to all the local banks/cu's, speaking to underwriters, and asking if you can find one who will do conventional financing w/ a huge down payment.

Good luck!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.