Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need suggestions on my credit for a mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need suggestions on my credit for a mortgage

I checked my FICO scores they are EQ- 575   EX-610   T- 627  but I also read that mortgage companies use the FICO 5 which is 499 on EQ ,506 Ex, 545 T !!??!?!? Please explain that!

We are really wanting to buy a house this year! But my current situation is I am an Authorized user on my husbands 2 Capital one Card CL-500 and 400 at the current moment they are maxed out , but thats where our question is do we pay them off to a zero balance or to 10-30% ? Also we have 2 personal loans together with a balace of 3000 and 2500 that we were going to pay to eliminate that debt , but will this hurt our score or should we just pay some down on it or pay off?? Other than that all I have is our vehicle payments on our credit and a few medical bills. I was also told I needed to get a secured credit card and put 200-300 on it and not use. I just want to do the right thing and not hurt my score even more. Please any advise!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: I need suggestions on my credit for a mortgage

CC utilization to 10% is great practice. I would suggest getting a secured credit card and use that for 3-4 months. Once you have a history going with the secured credit card, call the bank where you got the secured credit card and ask if you can get a regular credit card. It might ding your credit a bit, but you'll be better long term with your credit.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.