cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I am getting close and need help writing a letter of explanation please :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am getting close and need help writing a letter of explanation please :)

I finally bit the bullet and had the lo pull our scores. My DH mid score was 640 and my mid score was 622. Talk about scraping by!  Anyway we are trying for a USDA guaranteed loan with a FHA as a back up.  She said we would need to each write a letter of explanation indicating why we had credit problems in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am horrible at writing letters.  Our DTI looks good. On our income level we could go up to 230K for a home but we have chosen to buy the one we are currently renting and thats only 185K and they pay closing costs so we are good to go on that front. One question though. How do you go about doing this when there is no real estate agent? Do you hire one or something?  I am so confused as to what to do next. Obviously there is no ernest money issues but there will need to be apraisal and such. Are thoes included in closing costs or out of pocket? This is all so confusing. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I am getting close and need help writing a letter of explanation please :)

I'm not sure what you have to explain on your report, but I recently had to write a letter to explain my husband's credit reports too so I can give you a sample of what I wrote, if that'll help write your own:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing you this letter to explain the circumstances behind the collections and old late payments listed on my credit reports.

In my past, I had a long term relationship that unfortunately played a part in my financial troubles. For many years, I supported her and her family financially, burdening myself with credit card debt and many late payments. I opened many accounts in order to pay for things she and her family wanted or needed.

Many years have gone by since I separated from her and sought help from outside resources to help me recover financially. Since then, I have been able to pay off all my debts and have paid all accounts on time. It appears though, that there are still a few collections out there that I still owe money on. I was never contacted by these collection agencies  and for that reason I have not paid the balance they say I owe.

Since 2006, I have made all payments on time and have taken steps to pay off all of my debt. If it is in your best interest for me to pay off these collection accounts listed on my credit reports, I will do that at the time of closing.

Sincerely,

Your LO should be able to help with the rest - appraisal, etc. You dont have to have a realtor, especially when you've already found a house. 

Our LO order the appraisal on our house and included the charge in our closing costs, there was no upfront cost to us.... and our closing costs will be paid by the seller.

If you want an inspection done, you may have to find someone on your own to do that and pay at the time of the inspection.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.