cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was given three options from a broker, looking for advice!

tag
srhslev

I was given three options from a broker, looking for advice!

My DH and I have a contract on a home, the purchase price is $128,000. We have $22,000 to use at closing to cover closing costs and down payment, we've already put down $3000 in earnest money to the attorney (this is a FSBO).

We've been working with a LO and when we went for the appointment to apply he began with "637, I can't do a 637." Originally he pre-qualified us for an FHA loan for $140,000 with the same info, so this was a shock to hear that because we were happy we'd found a house well below what we had been pre-qualified for.  Then he decided he could do a 637, and only ran the info with a conventional mortgage.  He didn't even mention FHA. So the rate he offered was 4.85%, and payments would be about $1026 per month with PMI.  Then he didn't have my debts on the application and had to redo it and after redoing it he couldn't get our ratios in the right range. We had to reschedule our appointment because his computer stopped working (I know this sounds crazy).  So, my BIL referred me to a mortgage broker and I spoke with her today and explained our situation.  She gave me three options, I'm looking for advice on if I should just go back to original guy or work with the broker.  

Here's some info about us:

Wage earners, my annual gross is $40,000 and his is about $18,500. Combined wages $58,500

He also has interest income of about $20,000 per year. The only issue with this is that it comes from mortgage interest, not from a bank. His father provides mortgages for people who cannot qualify for a traditional mortgage, the income is split between my DH, his father, and his brother. He has had this income since we've been together and it is reported on his tax returns as taxable income.  As the money comes in his father deposits it into a mutual fund account. The only records of the income are the deposits into the mutual fund account and the tax returns.  Is that enough information to use as additional income on a loan? We only mentioned it to the LO but did include with the application. 

My monthly debts are split between credit cards ($315), car payment ($289), and student loans (which are currently deferred, but only until next June, about $450-500 per month I think, I'm not even sure).  He only has 1 credit card with a small balance, min. payment $35. 

So, as I was saying, the mortgage broker gave me three options, and I'm trying to decide which is the best and looking for advice.

1. Conventional mortgage. Apply for the mortgage in DH's name only. His credit score is in the mid 700's and much better than mine. The only way we can do this though is if his interest income is counted.  She said she would need to see past two years tax returns (no problem), and that he would need to write a letter explaining where the income comes from for the underwriter. 

2. Conventional mortgage, but I would have to pay down some of my debt to do a rapid re-score. She said if I pay down about $4000 I can get my score up to 690 with a rapid rescore. We would apply together for a conventional mortgage. 

3. FHA. She said that they need 640 minimum scores for FHA so I can pay down some debt to get my scores to 640 and the apply for FHA. 

So, what should I do? Should I go with the broker and choose one of these options, or should I go back to the LO and ask if he can add in DH's interest income to make our ratios better? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: I was given three options from a broker, looking for advice!

Is the mortgage broker just a broker or do they fund their own loans (correspondent lender/mortgage banker)?  If the broker funds their own loans, go with them.

Do the conventional loan with just DH on the loan and both of you on title. Smiley Happy

The thing that concerns me with your first LO is that he didn't ask for your tax returns right up front to see the interest income. If he had the returns, it's clear he didn't review them for the pre-approval. Lastly when presented with the 637 he didn't give you any options. Doesn't sound like he is knowledgeable or maybe he is just sloppy. But I wouldn't want to complete the deal with him. Is he with a bank? If so, which one?

Message 2 of 6
1_2
Contributor

I know I say this far to often but I would seriously look into a USDA loan with no down payment requirements. You can even roll your closing costs into your purchase if needed. You'd be surprised what areas qualify as rural. I beleive my entire state does. Seriously. 

I personally used a broker for the fact that I knew he worked on commission , thus wanted to work hard to close the deal and he had a lot more sources to go to for money than a conventional bank. 

Closed on home Jan 30, 2013. Yay!

Capital One (secured) $1000.00 | Capital One (former Orchard Bank) $500.00 | First Premier $500.00 | Credit One Bank $750.00 | Wal-Mart $3550.00 | Citi Thank You Preferred $6,800.00 | Discover It $4,800.00 | AMEX BCE $4,500.00
Message 3 of 6
srhslev

The bank we're working with is First Niagara. It could be my fault that he didn't ask to see the tax returns because I briefly mentioned the mortgage interest income.  We tried to get pre-approved about two years ago when DH was finished his degree and not working and my score was much worse due to a 30 day late that had just happened and the LO that we were working with said that the income needed to be projected for 3 years in the future (I don't even know how that's possible even with a self employed person), so I was nervous to use it to qualify us this time around. 

Does this income need to be projected three years in advance, or are his tax returns sufficient? How is it even possible to project income?

Message 4 of 6
srhslev

Thanks for the info! I checked into USDA and my area does not qualify, we are in a suburb of a bigger city so there's no hope for that. Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

There are pleenty of banks that will work with a 637 score - FHA would be an option using your income

The taxes should show that the money is coming in - a copy of the mortgage contracts that Dad has should show the length of time that the money will continue to come in (showing you the 3 years most likely) You need to get with a solid lender that knows how to handle these things - the first guy sounds like he didnt know what he was doing or not trying very hard to make this work - especially if he sent you out shopping and then after you were inc ontract said he couldnt help you??

The second person at least had a few options for you - if you are worried about the income find a lender that will work with scores below 640

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.