Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBR or Deferment

tag
NewStart2012

IBR or Deferment

Hello!!

I am getting ready to apply for a home loan next month and have been researching IBR (income based repayment) and getting a mortgage. My payment will be $107.XX until I re-apply next year. Will the mortgage company use what is listed on the credit report as the payment or will they want something from the student loan servicer? I am asking because if they do request it from the servicer then it will show that for 11 months my pymt will be $107.XX and $527.XX, if I don't re-apply for the IBR, for the next 30 years. This will kill my back end ratio...

Thanks,

NewStart

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: IBR or Deferment

They use what is listed on the credit report. They didn't bat an eye when I went through the process. Just be sure that your payment doesn't change during the process. Mine did, so I called up the servicer and asked them to report my new (higher) amount immediately, which they did, so there was no question.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 7
NewStart2012

Thanks for the reply, Booner72. After they report the new payment at the end of this month is when I will apply. I was supposed to apply in March, but every month something comes up and am unable to do so, but I am hoping that June will be the month. Would like to be in a home before school starts again in August. Smiley Happy

NewStart

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Good Luck! Applying and getting approved is the easy part. It's finding the house and closing the deal that's rough! My student loan payment was one thing when I applied and another when I closed - both met the DTI requirements so it was okay, I would think that could be your only potential problem. If you haven't found a lender, I had great luck with Academy Mortgage, and others have let me know they did, as well, after they took my referral. I get no kickback from it - just spreading the word to others that they were a solid company that worked hard for me.
Message 4 of 7
NewStart2012

I looked them up and it looks like they have an office in Cincinnatti, Ohio, but I am much closer to Cleveland. Do you happen to know what their minimum score is?

NewStart

Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

From what I was told back in 2011, they loan down to 620, but it's a higher interest rate than 640+.  They didn't have any guidelines more strict than the FHA guidelines themselves.  My credit was TANKED so it was a miracle I made it!  You can do all the paperwork by fax and email so you really don't NEED an office, technically, you can do a phone interview - If you don't like that person, then Forgettabout it.  Other lenders go down to 620.  My advice?  Wait to 640.  Just easier.

Message 6 of 7
NewStart2012

I will keep them in mind when it comes time to apply. My mid-score right now is EQ @ 639. My TU here is at 661 and my EX through PSECU is 623. I paid off a credit card down from $993 to zero with a credit limit of $1400. I am hoping this will give my score a boost, but I noticed that this particular card has not reported anything since 3/22. I will be calling them Monday to find out why they did not report in April. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.