Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBR student loans

tag
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

IBR student loans

I am now a little over a week from closing and am being asked for something showing that my student loans will be deferred for 12 months after closing.  That is not possible because i am in a foreberance and it is no way to show that it can be extended for 12 months after this one ends.  I can show from studentloans.gov that my loans will be $0 on the IBR when i apply i just do not know what to do i called my realtor and the LO and I am freaking out.  This is the only thing that i can not provide will this stop my process or get me denied for my house.  I AM SO SCARED at this point 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
deg757
Regular Contributor

Re: IBR student loans

Our broker would not do the loan while my student loans were on forbearance. I had to put them in repayment status, make the first payment, and then turn in a statement from the bank showing the payment cleared my account. If the loans are deferred, it is ok, but if they are in forbearance, you can't get the loan.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 2 of 22
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

i wonder why they would let us get this far if forberance was goig to be a problem did they say why they could not be in forebrance 

Message 3 of 22
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

i am trying not to get discouraged we have spent over $2K and we are in love with the house i really wish that they told you everything when they see you credit and information to let you know if it is a go before you spend your money i  do not want to take them out of foreberance it time that you allowed to use i did not get a hardship or anything its just available and i think i should be able to use it.  Plus the amount that they show my payment to be is way higher than what it will be on the IBR it shows i would owe nothing i do not know what i could do about that.  This is so frustrating.  

Message 4 of 22
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

is there anyone here that can give me some insight or anything on  being able to close with loans in foreberance or with a IBR payment of $0.00

Message 5 of 22
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I believe, but I am not positive, that the reason they would not issue a mortgage while your loans are in forbearance, is because you can only get approved for forbearance if you have a financial hardship or an illness.

If you are currently in the midst of a hardship, than adding a mortgage loan to the mix will increase your hardship rather than reduce it. So getting a mortgage would seem to be the worst thing you could do if you are already having a hard time with your finances. The underwriter wants to make sure the mortgage is going to be repaid and giving a mortgage to someone in financial distress is not going to pass guidelines for the funding bank.

Message 6 of 22
deg757
Regular Contributor

That is exactly what they told me. I put my loans in repayment, made a payment, closed on the house, and then put them back in forbearance. I wanted to use that monthly payment for house stuff. They were originally in forbearance so I could pay off some other debt before we bought the house.
Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 7 of 22
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

so does anyone have any experience with teh income based repayment because i qualify for it with $0.00 paynent so that would be fine as well.  How does the underwriter look at that.  Sallie mae is telling me that they can give me a letter showing that the exstimated  payment on the IBR plan is $0 and it runs for 12 months.  I really do not see how that is any different from a foreberance and i am not in a hardship i did not have to prove that i was the loan servicer is required to offer foreberance so i use it.  I am not sure that the only reason you can get one is due to a hardship.  Any experience with the IBR plan?

Message 8 of 22
Kae_Aye
Valued Member

I looked this up on here not too long ago. Here are a few threads that might help you (some are old):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/IBR-and-new-mortgage/m-p/1125239/highlight/true#M8476...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/IBR-income-based-repayment-Will-signing-up-affect-loa...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Has-anyone-here-bought-a-house-with-IBR-student-loans...

Starting Score: 674 Apr 2013
Current FICO EQ Score: 706 Dec 12 2013
Current FAKO TU Score: 699 Dec 3 2013 from CreditKarma
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 22
Booner72
Senior Contributor

There is a thread going right now with a woman having trouble getting approved with the zero payment......
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.