cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INSPECTION COMPLETED, APPRAISAL ON MONDAY!!!

tag
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

INSPECTION COMPLETED, APPRAISAL ON MONDAY!!!

We completed the inspection on Friday and the guy that I went with was excellent!! He spent almost 3 hours inspecting a 1257 sq foot home, and I received the full report the same day.  (no checkboxes, actually paragraph descriptions)

There were only 4 issues...

1.) (biggest issue) Air was slow cooling (unit is good - only 6 yrs old)... however: I'm in Las Vegas and it was over 100 degrees outside.  The temp in the house was 95 degrees and the air filter was extremely dirty.  The house did cool, though.  I forwarded the inspection report to my realtor and hope that the seller/bank (short sale) will make an attempt to rectify the issue. I would really like them to change the filter and clean the ducts.  I think doing that will ensure the a/c functions as it should.  What do you think my chances are of getting the other side to do this in an FHA short sale??

2.) The exhaust fan in the master bath does not work.

3.) O-ring on kitchen faucet is bad and causes it to leak.

4.) Knock out plug is still on the new garbage disposal which caused the dishwasher to drain from the overflow.

5.) A few lightbulbs need replaced.

Then of course, I'm painting and changing the carpet on my own.

I'm pretty happy the inspection came back good.  It will be even better if we can convince the other side to spend $200 to clean the ducts and replace the filters and exhaust fan.

How should I negotiate this?? I am pretty sure that the a/c unit is fine, but if it's not, I won't have the resources initially to replace it and with 3 kids, I really don't want to be in a home with out a/c.  Do you think they'll be willing to put that small amount into it to ensure the sale?

Next step is the appraisal which is scheduled for tomorrow!! I should be through with underwriting this week and find out what my conditions are.  Next step is closing!! 

My biggest head ache right now is finding an affordable way to get new carpet.  the carpets are gross... and the walls are really dirty (rental property with small kids, and I think it was section 8).  So, I also have to paint.  I also will need a fridge and would prefer a washer and dryer, too. 

Any one know what kind of finance options Home Depot or Lowes has for someone with a 700 credit score?  Should I just get a store card? And, if I get a store card, can I finance the entire floor purchase or do I have to do a down payment?  I also plan on getting my appliances off craigslist, but would prefer getting what I want and not what will work to prevent having to move appliances and install again (washer/dryer area is upstairs). 

HELP ME!! Smiley Very Happy

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Re: INSPECTION COMPLETED, APPRAISAL ON MONDAY!!!

We have this local add booklet that is left in most service stations called the Bargain Finder and they have decent appliances for about $200-500, I would also look in local newspaper for people that are moving and want to unload most of their belongings. Check to see if they have a Habitat for Humanity Wholesale Warehouse that have the Carpeting you may need as well as appliances. I would look and see what appliance store support GE Capital and pray that they have a 0% financing, only purchase what you need and pay off in full when income tax role around. When I moved into my new home I used my old furniture and brought a Dining Room Table on credit.  My goal right now is to Save,Save,Save for that Unforeseen Emergency, I want to have Six-Eight Months of Income Socked Away.  Take a deep breath everything will fall into place and it takes time to get the house the way you want it. 

You can always ask the bank to clean the ducts,vents and filters, I don't think its a deal breaker.  The Inspections issues seems  minor and wouldn't be a hard fix. 

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 2 of 9
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

Here in Vegas, there are so many homes that are for sale and people moving in and out of homes that craigslist is flooded with appliances.  I might just grab a side by side fridge for $300 or so and then finance a washer and dryer... or just go with something to tide me over. I can get a newer standard washer and dryer for $200, it just sucks that I'm going to have to move them back down stairs when I get what I want.

I think Lowes has 0% financing but it's only for 6 months.  There is a flooring company I went to on Friday that offers 12 months, but of course, their installation is WAYYYY more.

I opened a second checking account with Ally and plan on using that account as my main account, transferring only what I need to my US Bank account, putting both Ally and US Bank debit cards in the sock drawer and keeping my paypal debit card for purchases since I made sure to keep the $200 limit, so I won't over spend and can just keep funds on backup for any issues.  I'm really glad that this house is only 6 years old.  I feel a little safer knowing that the windows, fixtures, a/c, water heater, structure etc are fairly new.  The inspector said the house has great bones and the water heater is excellent.  (I know that won't stop them from falling apart, but it made me feel good).

I really hope the bank will cough up the $200 or so to ensure the a/c is really working properly.  Small pennies compared to the big picture.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@LondonMassey wrote:

Here in Vegas, there are so many homes that are for sale and people moving in and out of homes that craigslist is flooded with appliances.  I might just grab a side by side fridge for $300 or so and then finance a washer and dryer... or just go with something to tide me over. I can get a newer standard washer and dryer for $200, it just sucks that I'm going to have to move them back down stairs when I get what I want.

I think Lowes has 0% financing but it's only for 6 months.  There is a flooring company I went to on Friday that offers 12 months, but of course, their installation is WAYYYY more.

I opened a second checking account with Ally and plan on using that account as my main account, transferring only what I need to my US Bank account, putting both Ally and US Bank debit cards in the sock drawer and keeping my paypal debit card for purchases since I made sure to keep the $200 limit, so I won't over spend and can just keep funds on backup for any issues.  I'm really glad that this house is only 6 years old.  I feel a little safer knowing that the windows, fixtures, a/c, water heater, structure etc are fairly new.  The inspector said the house has great bones and the water heater is excellent.  (I know that won't stop them from falling apart, but it made me feel good).

I really hope the bank will cough up the $200 or so to ensure the a/c is really working properly.  Small pennies compared to the big picture.

Honestly the bank is not going to pay for this repair.  The way the Realtor has to negotiate it is to have the seller on title pay for the repair. Some will and some won't. The filter is an EZ fix and most will do that but getting the duct work cleaned - don't hold your breath. You may have more cooperative sellers, but generally the seller in a short sale is just ready to let it go.

Otherwise your report is really clean.

Message 4 of 9
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

The owner already installed a new hood over the stove.  I'm not too concerned about the ducts and filter, but if the a/c is in fact having issues then that's a problem.  The only way I would feel comfortable knowing that the a/c is actually working is if the filter is changed and ducts clean.  Then if the house cools properly great... if it doesn't then it'll have to be negotiated some how.

Message 5 of 9
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Your almost there.  Glad to see it all coming together for youSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you have someone from heating and cooling come in and further investigate the AC Unit? This sounds like it will be a big concern for you later on, and honestly I don't have a good feeling that it is just the filters that are causing this problem. From my own personal experience, we had our air blowing cold, and it still seemed to take awhile for the home to cool down, we had someone come in replaced all the filters, cleaned it up and found out that the voltage in the wiring when they hooked up the air and it was causing the AC to cool down our house slower.

Also, in regards to Home Depot, yes, you can put carpet on your Home Depot card and not have a down payment. This is what we used to get new carpet in our home before we placed it on the market. At the time, they had a better promotion than Lowe's and the delivery charge was less.

Message 7 of 9
mygoal750
Contributor

London:  you shouldl be able to get either or both a Lowe's or Home Depot card with a 700 score.  both have financing promotions around holidays..next one is Labor Day, so they may be running 18 months 0% financing.  I got a new washer in May 2011 right before Labor Day.  The salesman told me at that time, their financing promotions are generally around all holidays.  So, if you are ready to close in late August, you may be able to get your appliances at 0% interest.  Next holiday would be Columbus Day in October. so, not too long to wait.

I have both Lowes & HD, got both in mid 2010, and I think my scores were 680 at that time.  but, i financed new sliding doors to the deck, a new garage door and a new washer, each at 18 months no interest. It seemed that as soon as I paid off one item, something else broke and for once, my timing was right and they are all around holidays!!  as for installation, when I got my washer from Lowe's, they also had a free delivery & installation special on for appliances.  So, all told, between the 0% financing, the free delivery & installation, I think I saved about $200 on the washer. Plus I price matched it to Sears.com and saved another $70 that way!

congrats, and hope the rest of the closing process is smooth for you!   

Message 8 of 9
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone!

The sellers agent said there isn't a problem with us going in, taking out the filters or changing them and then testing the air. I have also decided to put carpet and tile on the main floor and just professionally clean the upstairs and steps. With a 3 yr old, 5 yr old, and 10 yr old, it would really suck to pay a bunch for new carpet to only have it ruined. It will also allow me to do more with the house and get appliances by freeing up money. Instead of spending $2600 for carpet and doing tile later, I will be spending about $700 or less and have tile and new carpet downstairs and finance it. Now to decide what carpet.... I may not even change the padding depending on what is down and it's condition. I know one house a few doors down was replacing everything and they had the expensive rubber padding. The houses are only 6 years old and the carpet is dirty from traffic, not pets or any obvious spills. I guess I will see when it gets pulled up?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.