Regular Contributor

IRA withdrawal for down payment

Part of our downpayment will be coming from my IRA. Withdrawals take about two weeks to get processed and receive the money. Should I go ahead and make the withdrawal request now even though the loan has not been officially approved yet? Our file is still with the mortgage broker and has not gone to underwriting yet. Our closing date is scheduled for October 26th.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Regular Contributor

Re: IRA withdrawal for down payment

I would just to be safe and isure the money is in your hands. Worst case you can pay it right back should something fall through. I assume your LO knows you are doing this withdrawl?

Regular Contributor

Yes, he knows.

Regular Contributor

Probably  better soon than later--lots of paperwork!

You're lucky, my 401K plan only allows hardship withrawals after exhausing possible loans, so I will/would have to take a loan from mine, which would have to be paid back in full immediately should I change jobs.

Regular Contributor

One of the many benefits of working for a small company. SEP-IRA means you can withdraw for anything at any time with a 10% penalty from the IRS for early withdrawal. Fortunately for us, the IRS waives that 10% penalty if you use the money to purchase your first home.

You probably didn't want to know that. Sorry, that is the CPA coming out in me.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I work for a small company, too, but that's not how ours works.  bummer, too!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.