Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If home over FHA limits in county

tag
chryanna
New Contributor

If home over FHA limits in county

I'm tentatively looking at a townhome in Boulder, Co. The listing price is $80k over the FHA loan limit for the county, but the listing details state that FHA and VA loans (along with conventional and cash) are accepted. I assume this is some sort of misprint? Or would it only be applicable if you put enough down that the total loan value is less than the limit (in which case defeating the low downpayment benefit of an FHA loan?)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: If home over FHA limits in county

you put down $80K + 3.5% for that home

or just $80K for VA Loan

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

80k + 3.5 percent?

Why

Message 3 of 8
203bravo
Established Contributor

toolman -

For FHA one would have to get the loan amount down to the limit - thus the 80k.  Then pay 3.5% downpayment of the finance amount.

Message 4 of 8
ccubedzx3
Regular Contributor

I was told something completely different: 

I was told you need to put down 3.5% of the purchase price. For instance, if the loan limit is $297,500, the house price should be no greater than $308,290.  If you put $10,790 down (3.5%), that would get you down to the loan limit of $297,500.  However, if the purchase price was an extra $1000 more like $309,290, you would need $1K + $10790.  For every dime you go above that, you need to come up with it out of your pocket. 

Besides, what is the point of a "loan limit" if you can never realistically get a loan amount for the "full limit"...hence "loan limit".  Doesn't the name alone suggest the most you can borrow is the limit?

Starting Score:2/1/16 565
Current Score: 3/1/16 575
Lender Mid Score: 3/1/16 575

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yup thats what I was told too. If the price of the home is way over the limit, you will be putting a lot more down then 3.5 percent to hit the limit.

Otherwise you could never finance at the FHA limit, it would be always 3.5 percent lower then the limit.

Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

We just bought a place that was over the loan limit.  We put down 3.5% and that took us below the loan limit.  We didn't have to put down another 3.5% based off the loan limit.

So in the example above, the person would just need the 80K as that would be more than 3.5% of the purchase price. 

I'm fairly certain about that, but then Dallas has a lot more experience with this than I do.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

You guys are right on.Down payment is 3.5% of purchase price. Thus you can buy a house that is (your county limit * 1.035) without having to pay anything additional. The county limit is only for the amount financed, not the total purchase price. You could buy that million dollar home with FHA, if you can come up with the difference above the limit. Smiley Happy

Of additional note, keep In mind that your UFMIP does NOT count against you if you choose to finance it. In my area, the county limit is 353,750. My FHA loan is for 359,xxx, because the total financed can exceed the limit but only for your upfront MIP.

If that isn't clear, I can try to elaborate more.

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.