Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignorance =! Bliss, but who knew Knowledge = Power. Please HELP us Qualify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignorance =! Bliss, but who knew Knowledge = Power. Please HELP us Qualify

After lurking and learning for a while, I managed to pay down our cards this year and bring up our scores. Inow realize that I just really didnt seem to have an understanding of how it all comes together. Although I feel like we have some victories in the CC arena, I now feel like I may have inadvertently delayed our homebuying endeavor. That said, I reached out to a loan officer at my local bank branch recently.

I was advised that we could possibly qualify for the Florida Bond program as first time homebuyers with a median score of 640 and that our DTI would have to be no more than 45%(mortgage payment included) to qualify. I haven't purchased current scores yet because we just refinanced our car loan and the original loan reported closed the other day while the refi has not reported yet = no installment accounts.

I had always thought we were at least 2 years away and so I, what seems reckless now, applied for all the CCs on our Must-have list over the past two months. So we have all this new credit, all these inquiries but were actually in a position to qualify for a loan. 

My concerns going forward now are:

1. Will 6 months be sufficient for the aging of the new accounts and inquiries?
  2. I am now in school full-time and so DW will be applying on her own, however her income goes toward repaying my debt.
    • I only have a balance on one card which I just BT'd and so I plan to pay down $100/month
    • 2 student loans deferred until 2017 but I make a monthly $25 payment on the unsubsidized one
    • Total DTI including my 2 accounts is 18% - we exclusively use CC for daily living then PIF bi-weekly. 
    • DTI includes car payment of $350

Here's what I know about DW

• No lates
  • 1 open collection on TU. Thorn in our side -  was timeshare for DW and ex. He chose to keep it and was awarded it by the court. DW filed quitclaim deed and that should've been it. Except, he never paid on it, then filed BK and so CA comes after DW. We actually didn't know it had be on her report since '09. Upon filing a dispute, the CA maintains it's a legimate debt even with all the court and public records documentation so they re-opened it in December and tacked on 200% interest.
  • Income: $51k
  • CC utilization 1%

I'd be so grateful for any insight and advice on how to proceed. Thank you all for taking the time to read this post.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Ignorance =! Bliss, but who knew Knowledge = Power. Please HELP us Qualify

are all of the new credit cards in your name, her name, or both?  Is Florida a community property state?  If it is not, then any debt in your name only will not be used in the mortgage process if your DW is doing the loan alone.

If she meets score requirements now, then you can provide the divorce information to them and they will probably not count the collection against you in underwriting.  you will have to provide all documentation proving that the debt is her ex's.

if you are applying six months down the road, the new credit will probably not be an issue.  the lender may require you to write a LOE for the inquiries, but that's about it. however, do not apply for any more credit.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure Florida is a community property state. She has 10 new cards and I have 2. We also closed 4 old ones between the 2 of us. I wouldn't be opposed to writing a LOE in the event we had to. We had to ditch horrible cards and with a growing family now, rewards seem to be the only way families get to travel. Well that or a ridiculous income. In any case we won't be seeking any new credit. There is nothing we need right now. I have kept a file for the collection paperwork and so hopefully they will request it and it will go over smoothly.

So I'm guessing action steps would be:
- no more new credit
- continue to pay bills on time
- keep utilization low
- save save save

Did I miss anything?
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

After lurking and learning for a while, I managed to pay down our cards this year and bring up our scores. Inow realize that I just really didnt seem to have an understanding of how it all comes together. Although I feel like we have some victories in the CC arena, I now feel like I may have inadvertently delayed our homebuying endeavor. That said, I reached out to a loan officer at my local bank branch recently.

I was advised that we could possibly qualify for the Florida Bond program as first time homebuyers with a median score of 640 and that our DTI would have to be no more than 45%(mortgage payment included) to qualify. I haven't purchased current scores yet because we just refinanced our car loan and the original loan reported closed the other day while the refi has not reported yet = no installment accounts.

I had always thought we were at least 2 years away and so I, what seems reckless now, applied for all the CCs on our Must-have list over the past two months. So we have all this new credit, all these inquiries but were actually in a position to qualify for a loan. 

My concerns going forward now are:

1. Will 6 months be sufficient for the aging of the new accounts and inquiries?
  2. I am now in school full-time and so DW will be applying on her own, however her income goes toward repaying my debt.
    • I only have a balance on one card which I just BT'd and so I plan to pay down $100/month
    • 2 student loans deferred until 2017 but I make a monthly $25 payment on the unsubsidized one
    • Total DTI including my 2 accounts is 18% - we exclusively use CC for daily living then PIF bi-weekly. 
    • DTI includes car payment of $350

Here's what I know about DW

• No lates
  • 1 open collection on TU. Thorn in our side -  was timeshare for DW and ex. He chose to keep it and was awarded it by the court. DW filed quitclaim deed and that should've been it. Except, he never paid on it, then filed BK and so CA comes after DW. We actually didn't know it had be on her report since '09. Upon filing a dispute, the CA maintains it's a legimate debt even with all the court and public records documentation so they re-opened it in December and tacked on 200% interest.
  • Income: $51k
  • CC utilization 1%

I'd be so grateful for any insight and advice on how to proceed. Thank you all for taking the time to read this post.

Florida is not a community property state so you are good there.  There are only 9  community property states and they are all in the western US

You really don't have to wait 6 months even with the new credit. Most people advise to wait if it looks like you are running up debt. If you got the credit to enhance your utilization and haven't run up debt, that is a good thing.

Do you have any savings or are you planning to get all of your down payment from the bond program?

The PSA (Property Settlement Agreement) that shows the property was awared to the ex should be sufficient to show it was not the responsibility of the spouse. Problem is this: ex filed Bk and the CA does have the right to go after your DW for payment as the CA/OC is not a party to the divorce. KWIM? Her remedy is to go after the ex, but he has a Bk in place. If the Bk is discharged he isn't responsible. If it was dismissed, he is and she can collect from her ex (if he has the resources).   

Suggestion: check to see if there is a judgment. If there is one, settle with the CA and get a Satisfaction before you go down this road to buying your first home. The mortgage inq will bring out all the creditors even if the CRTP has passed. Be prepared.

Did your wife sign for the student loans too? If so apply sooner rather than later.

From your post, it looks good. Make sure to check insurance because our insurance is high here and it makes a huge difference in what you can buy mortgage wise. Look up Wind Mitigation factors so you are well informed before you ever make an offer on a property. Can be the difference of a couple of hundred a month in payments.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10
- 4 days ago I didn't even know about the Florida Bond program. The plan was to start saving, but if we were to proceed right away then we would want to get all of the down payment through the program.
- I understand what you mean concerning the CA and their right to pursue DW. How do I confirm whether Bk was dismissed or discharged?
- I searched the court records and could not find a judgement. So there isn't one I suppose.
- DW did not sign on my student loans.

One other thing, she has a short sale on her record, ~ 5 years old. Is this a potential issue?
Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Most reliable way to see if the case has been discharged or dismissed is to look up the case and its result in PACER.  https://www.pacer.gov/

These documents are public record. You do have to register but can look up anyone's record. Make sure you have the right Bk district where the ex spouse filed. If it were me I would download  copy of the discharge or dismissal as the case may be. It makes a difference in that timeshare deal.

Your wife may want to speak to an attorney regarding the legal ramifications of a debt that has been discharged (if applicable) and the PSA in the divorce.

It's good if there is no judgment. You can see judgments in the public records of your county under the Clerk of Courts website. She should check her name just to make sure she doesn't have any.

Regarding the Florida Bond Program.  Here is a link http://webcdn.ehousingplus.com/wp-content/uploads/ehousing_program_training.pdf?25a3a7

I notice that even though Fl is not a community property state, tax returns are required for 3 years for both spouses. There is heavy emphasis in the link above that both spouses income is used even if they are separated.  Total household income is used to qualify in this program. Mid score min requirement is 620. There are income and sales price limits.  You have to qualify for the Bond program + qualify for the mortgage like usual. Read the link for more information. It is very detailed. There are many restrictions so read the entire link because some of these restrictions apply for the entire time you own the property.

As to the short sale, I am not sure how that will impact your wife's qualifications. You would need to ask the lender that is handling the bond program.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Most reliable way to see if the case has been discharged or dismissed is to look up the case and its result in PACER.  https://www.pacer.gov/

These documents are public record. You do have to register but can look up anyone's record. Make sure you have the right Bk district where the ex spouse filed. If it were me I would download  copy of the discharge or dismissal as the case may be. It makes a difference in that timeshare deal.

Thanks for the tip. I logged in and managed to find that it was discharged and the timshare was included when he filed. I downloaded a copy and hopefully this will be helpful when our time with the UW comes. 

I'll plan on reading about the Florida Bond program tomorrow. Feels like I'm working on a second degree now. haha

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.