Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressions from Homebuying Seminar

tag
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Impressions from Homebuying Seminar

As I'm jut beginning my journey toward homeownership, I thought I'd start to educate myself a bit, so I attended a free seminar put on by my credit union yesterday.  Here are some things I thought the board might be interested in: (keep in mind this info is from one specific lender only)

--They were talking approval in the 620-680 range

--Their best rate is given to those above 720 (no tier above that)

--The use the Triments (sp?) system, where they use the middle score

--There were a lot of credit questions, obviously -- some of these people needed a separate credit seminar.  In the packet was a print out from myfico.com and I raised my hand and talked up the myfico forums as great sources of info!  (I was feeling pretty smug that I'd already gone through and learned this stuff, too.)

--For every $10,000 down, the monthly payment will drop $10

--They look at your credit and payment history for last 24 months.  They want 3 open and active credit trade lines

--For conventional loans, they want a 45% to 50% DTI ratio (total debt divided by gross income -- can anyone give me an example of an equation like this?)

--They do consider 401(k) monies as reserves, and said that having that money looks good on the app

--They did talk about the problem with cash gifts (aka "mattress money") and said that if you receive such a gift, you have to deposit it for 2 months to be considered (but stated that other lenders might want up to 10 months!)

--They also want you to have at least 3% (3.5 for FHA loans) downpayment, closing costs, and 2-3 months monthly payments saved up

--Closing costs run 3 to 4% of the loan amount

--They don't do the FHA 203(k) loans there (darn!)

--They will finance duplexes with 3% down

--Pre-approval letter is good for 3  months

--Their closing process takes about 30 days (so they say)

Again, this was from one specific credit union/lender, but it was useful for me to go through this.  The biggest surprise for me was it's apparent I could get approved and buy a house right now!  After years and years of being convinced I could never buy a house, I'm feeling somewhat discombobulated.  I was thinking that all home purchases required a minimum of 20% down, which is a pretty high bar considering today's home prices.  Happy, of course, and glad that I've worked so hard the past couple of years to get my credit in shape, but . . . I'm not ready.  I'm picky!  Anyway, hope this helps.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Impressions from Homebuying Seminar

I was surprised by the "gift" information.  My MIL is providing us with $10k, is it normal to have this deposited to my account prior?  We will be purchasing within the next month or two - currently looking and working with our MB. 

Please let me know your experience with gifting.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, just re-read "cash gift", ours will be direct deposited from her account to our account, so maybe not as stringent with the guidelines.

Message 3 of 5
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

right, they're talking about verifying income, and if it's just actual cash, they can't.  (too bad I have no one to give me money!)

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, just re-read "cash gift", ours will be direct deposited from her account to our account, so maybe not as stringent with the guidelines.

They will want to make sure the donor for your gift had seasoned funds in their account to give you so your lender will probably not only require the gift letter, but a copy of the bank statment from the donor showing the funds prior to the deposit into your account. It's SOP to verify gift funds.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.