cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In underwriting, ex just didn't pay child support!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In underwriting, ex just didn't pay child support!

My ex-husband has been paying court ordered child support for eight years. In that time, he's very frequently been anywhere from a few days to even a week late, but he's always paid. Even when unemployed. Well, here I am in underwriting, set for an 8/24 closing, and he's a week late on child support. 

Unrelated to home buying, I finally got sick of a rash of very random payment dates and mailed in the paperwork for the state to begin garnishing him two weeks ago. That will be processed before my home closes. He also does have an 8 year track record of random but always paid child support.

How big of an issue do you think this current late payment will be? Why oh why must these things happen right during underwriting? Sigh.

For the record, he says he just didn't see his boss last week to get his check. This is the kind of bizarre explanation I always get from him after about 14 emails... but he always pays. Eventually.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In underwriting, ex just didn't pay child support!

Do you need that money for part of the down payment or closing costs?If not it shouldn't be a problem at all I wouldn't think.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, not at all. That's already been paid (I'm using a down payment grant and my earnest money was more than my share of closing costs). But I did use his child support as income to qualify for the purchase price. It's a substantial amount so I'm worried they'll be concerned if it's late/slow to be paid.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that stinks. I am not sure what the answer to that is, but if I were you I would prepare a letter of explanation just in case. Pair that with anything you have on the garnishment effective date, and I would hope you'd be fine.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are adding the child support to your income to qualify, typically lenders like to see the three most recent child support payments be consistent and on-time. If it's only a week late but the payment is for the full (court ordered) amount, it likely won't be too big of an issue. I would call your lender and ask just to be safe.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It turns out he had a reason not to pay... he was served by the state with the enforcement paperwork I mailed in awhile back and it TELLS him not pay. As they switch payments over from direct to me to being processed by the state, apparently I just don't receive payments for 21 days after he is served. Uh. Ok... What the heck?!

Luckily, this is all documented by the state so there's a very solid reason why he isn't paying AND it's for the best because it's all being done by garnishment in the future. Hopefully UW will understand the gap. Talk about rough timing, though.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good news,I'm glad to hear that.Hopefully that 21 day gap with no support didn't hurt you too bad financially.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That's good news,I'm glad to hear that.Hopefully that 21 day gap with no support didn't hurt you too bad financially.

Thanks Harley. Usually this would be pretty awful but (UW aside) this is actually pretty good timing for the gap... I pre-paid my last month's rent in my rental so I don't have to pay rent in August and my mortgage won't kick in until October! So I can afford the lag right now but geez... a little communication by the state would've been helpful! I had to call them today to find out what on Earth was going on.

Message 8 of 9
nainna1980
Established Member

I'm in the same situation. Did you have to write a letter of explanation?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.