cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income tax Returns counted as income for mortgage?

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Income tax Returns counted as income for mortgage?

Because we are "low income" and have dependents/daycare expenses etc...  we always get a significant amount of taxes back every year.  Will they include this in income when we are going through the pre-qualification process?  Or should we have taken out more deductions 2 years ago? lol

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Re: Income tax Returns counted as income for mortgage?

I really should stop posting when I'm half asleep.  Don't they go by gross income anyways?  That would obviously include the tax refund....    sorry for being a pest tonight. lol

Message 2 of 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Income tax Returns counted as income for mortgage?

They do base it on gross income.

BTW, you're in MI, right?  Have you looked into the MSHDA first time homebuyers programs?  I qualified for up to 50k in assistance as a low income individual.  I squeaked by on the technicality that that determination is made based on your AGI, not your real gross, so I was able to qualify by bumping up my 401k contribution. 

http://www.michigan.gov/mshda

There's some hoops to jump through, but if you qualify, it can be really helpful. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.