cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing down payment during underwriting

tag
jmdecaro

Increasing down payment during underwriting

Hi there, just stopping in here to see what others think of my situation. I'm in underwriting right now on a mortgage for a Fannie Mae Homepath Renovation loan. Our closing date is end of June, but we've had the signed contract since beginning of April. Initially we were pre-approved for 199k which includes both the house and funds needed to repair, with 10% down. Purchase price of the house was negotiated down to 185k, repairs coming in at 15k. All is well until maybe 3 days ago when our loan officer says she sent our file to underwriting and they will need 15% down since this is an investment property. We have the money for 15% so we said okay. Now, just a few moments ago, I received another email from her telling me "sorry we actually need 20%". 

Is this normal for the bank to come back and keep increasing their requirements for the downpayment? I just find this odd. 

Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Increasing down payment during underwriting

Sounds like you have hit some sort of overlay, and the increased down is helping to get around it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.