Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing my FICO Score to refinance / lock my mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing my FICO Score to refinance / lock my mortgage

Hello, Forgive the length of this posting, but I am not sure as to how FICO works exactly...I am seeking guidance as to the quickest way to further enhance my FICO score (please no guess work, I really need to have a response from someone who really has insider knowledge as to the best way to proceed to maximize my FICO score) Smiley Happy I am about to pay-off all (or nearly all) CL/CC debt....  I have a 712 credit score (never been late on anything, but I do have a high revolving debt ratios).  I want to move my score to the 800+ realm (to refinance my house at the most advantageous rates).  I have few questions:

1.  I have several Credit Lines and Credit cards - 10 to be exact with a high total debt ratio in 70%+ range...(I have three options):

a) I could pay all of them completely off (but that would run me low on cash reserves, which may "possibly" present a slight dilemma as you will see further below as to what my goal is) Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

b) I can pay most of them down to a zero balance and leave couple of them with a 30% to 41% balance debt ratio to limit.

C) I can pay couple of them to 0 and leave the rest of the CL/CCs to with a balance of around 7% to 9% of the limits.

What is the best route among the three options (or if you can think of a better way to do this please let me know). 

2.  How fast does FICO jump up if all of a sudden my debt goes to zero or near zero balances all else being equal (i.e. never being late on any payments, long credit history, etc.)?  So, once FICO sweeps the new figures in April and the results are only 1st and 2nd mortgages will it automatically jump up or does it take time to go up to my desired score of around 800?

3.  Going back to (option 1 a. Re. my hesitation to pay everything completely off), I have a first and second mortgage on my house (currently paying 4 3/8 on first [5/1 ARM expiring October 2009] and 7.95% on second fixed). Under current limits the addition of both would be considered a jumbo loan...However, I am hearing that the Jumbo loan limits may be increased to $750K which would convert my house loan to a standard loan and although I do not believe that the area I live in has been affected by lower real estate appraisal, I still would like to keep a bit of my cash in case I need to further pay down some of my first / second mortgage to refinance and lock a 15 years or a 30 years and get rid of my ARM that is going to become variable in October of 2009.   Main objective - I would like to combine 1st and 2nd and lock them down (while the interest rates are down) Smiley Happy Smiley Happy...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Increasing my FICO Score to refinance / lock my mortgage

Unfortunately it seems to all be guess work. When it comes to trying to figure out the impact of things to your credit scores there really is no way of knowing until it is done.

Although that doesn't help you any. Sorry.
Message 2 of 4
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

Welcome, gadget_man!!Smiley Happy

I would go with option....C, for sure!!  You will see the score boost the month after paying the cards down!  I would not be surprised if your scores jumped a minimum of 20+ points!! 

Anything over 720 is golden in the mortgage industry!  So, you should be fine.  Many say anything above 680...but, lenders are raising the bar, and 720 seems to be preferred in my local area. (BTW, I am NOT in a declining market...and they are preferring a 720....but, 680 gets you in)

As always....YMMV!!!  Best of Luck!!Smiley Wink

FWIW........I paid my cc debt. from 98% util down to 2% util over a 3 month period and saw a minimum 80 point INCREASE!!!!
takin' it one day at a time
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to clarify, yes Fannie and freddie have authorization to increase the size of the individual loans they are allowed to purchase.  The size of the loan depends on the area you live in.  I think the largest loan they can purchase is a $729k up from $419k (I may be off a few k's).

Anyway, $419k is still a traditional conforming loan (even if you are in an area that Freddie and Fannie can purchase the larger loans) anything over $419k up to the max $729k is still considered a Jumbo loan, but now its a Jumbo conforming loan.  These Jumbo conforming loans have strict limits a borrower must conform to.  Your credit score you currently have gives you the ability to capitalize on the few different types of Jumbo Conforming loans Freddie and Fannie can purchase.

These Jumbo Conforming loans still have a higher % than traditional conforming loans.  You can find all you need to know on the web as it relates to the qualifications and projected rates for these Jumbo's.  If you need more info PM me.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.