Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inheritance Downpayment Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inheritance Downpayment Question

We recently received a very sizable inheritance from my parent's estate. I'm using a lot of this as a downpayment. My question is this: Will this be considered "gift" money since it came from an inheritance? Or will I just need to show documentation as to where these large sums of money came from. We're currently in the "conditional" approval stage with Wells Fargo and I know that underwriting is going to wonder why our bank account balances sky rocketed over the past month. Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Inheritance Downpayment Question

This will not be a problem. They might ask you for the source of the money so you might be ready for that.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! That pretty much correlates with what others have told me - that the account that we're getting the downpayment from needs to be in our name and not from a loan or "gifted". 

Message 3 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It can be a gift, but for the specific program you are qualifying for (Wells Fargo's FHA program) and your credit situation, it can't be.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 5
MEE2Too
Valued Member

I received a "gift" from my mother and they wanted copies of her bank statements showing that she had the money available, when the funds where transferred they wanted copies of the withdrawal/deposit recepits from the both of us and then i had to provide them a copy of a new bank statement. So I'm guessing once they ask you to for a new bank statement showing you have the funds to close the account they would maybe ask, so just prepare all of yoru documentation in the event they will and have it ready.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.