Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry two weeks before close need help

tag
jwpezd
Regular Contributor

Inquiry two weeks before close need help

I think I screwed up. I went to AT&T yesterday and decided to switch to unverse after we close and went ahead and signed up. I didn't dream it would be an inquiry. This morning I get an alert about an inquiry and there it is from AT&T. Clearly this isn't for any type of credit. However, I was told there was to be no new inquiries during the loan process. Could this kill my deal?
Chase Freedom-(1000) BOA 123-(2000) Home Depot-(4000)
Discover IT-(1000) Lowes GE-(1500) Orchard Bank-(300)
Regions Student Visa-(500) Best Buy Reward Zone-(500)
In the garden till 4/01/2015
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Re: Inquiry two weeks before close need help

Same thing just happened to me with ADT. I asked here and my LO and I think I will only need to write a LOE to explain it, if anything.

Starting Score: 553
Current Score: 710
Goal Score: 659

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
EX:659
EQ: 553
TU: 520
Goal: 659
Message 2 of 8
playboy
Regular Contributor

The same thing happened to me with an alarm company.  It didn't hurt me, but they also didn't re-pull my credit.  If they re-pull your credit explain to them that you were told that there wouldn't be a inquiry.  

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The no new inquiry rule really depends on your score, lender overlay requirements, and underwriter discretion. I got the same letter that said don't make any large purchases or apply for new credit. I think they say that as a warning that doing those things may drop your score and if it is already low, it may disqualify you. I highly doubt it is a hard requirement but I would ask your LO. I certainly asked my LO and he told me that my new inquiries and accounts would not be an issue..

AT&T does do a hard pull if you are starting a new contract with them as they need to determine whether or not you will have to pay a deposit.

In my case, I had racked up a new inquiry account in Nov, Dec, and Jan and I close Feb 6th. The inquiries were for a new car lease, credit card, and from a mortgage broker I ended up not using for the purchase. The lender didn't ask for a LOE, technically. It was just a form that had all of the inquiries I generated for the past 120 days. And I just had to write in what it was for and whether or not a new account was established. For the new Chase Freedom, I had to provide my CC account number, the limit, and current balance. During underwriting, they called Chase with me on the phone to verify that. Again, not an issue. My qualifying fico was 703, and the lender's minimum requirement for FHA was 660.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Other than the score ding your fine.  What they don't want you seeking is any other credit.  Your not, your seeking phone/internet/TV service.  It's a non-issue.

Message 5 of 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I was told that when they repull you, they don't get the score they just pull your report to see if you have been doing bad stuff.

I asked my lender and they said they are not gonna repull me.

Message 6 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

It is not true they don't want you seeking new credit. I had a brand new credit card on the way while I was in underwriting. It depends on many factors and they use a blanket rule to CYA so if you do it without sound credit awareness and your score drops below the qualifying threshold, they can tell you, "I told you so". That is all that is. If your score is 644 and the requirement is 640 and you app for stuff and new accounts get added, your score drops to let's say 635...denied!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@jwpezd wrote:
I think I screwed up. I went to AT&T yesterday and decided to switch to unverse after we close and went ahead and signed up. I didn't dream it would be an inquiry. This morning I get an alert about an inquiry and there it is from AT&T. Clearly this isn't for any type of credit. However, I was told there was to be no new inquiries during the loan process. Could this kill my deal?

you may be asked to write a letter of explanation.

you will have zero problems with this

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.