Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insolvency for purposes of IRS and new mortgage

tag
pattybear
Established Member

Insolvency for purposes of IRS and new mortgage

Hi.  I am beginning the mortgage process.  In 2009, we fell behind on our mortgage payments and tried to do a modification or deed in lieu, but was never able to complete anything.  In 2010, we vacated the home and relocated to another state, still trying to resolve things.  Finally, February, 2013, we completed a short sale.  I have received a 1099 for the forgiven mortgage debt and a 1098 for interest collected.  

My accountant is saying that we may not qualify for the Mortgage Relief Act because, since we left the property, it might NOT be considered our "primary residence," even though it was our primary residence at the time the triggering incident occurred.  It just took four years to finalize it.  He said we can fill out a form of "Insolvency."

If we do that and claim "Insolvent," willl that affect our approval for a mortgage in any way?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Insolvency for purposes of IRS and new mortgage

It wouldn't impact you being able to qualify for a mortgage at all, only the fact that you had a short sale. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
pattybear
Established Member

Re: Insolvency for purposes of IRS and new mortgage

That's a relief!  We're trying to go through the FHA Back to Work program.  Thank you.  This forum has been a tremendous help to me!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.