Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection on new build

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inspection on new build

This may be a little off topic, but would you advise having an inspection done on a home that is a new build. Me and my husband just purchased a home that is currently under construction in a brand new development. We have the option to have it inspected or to decline an inspection. The warranty is a 10/2/1. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inspection on new build

I would always always always do an inspection, new build or not. The few hundred bucks it will cost you is worth your peace of mind.
Message 2 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Yes - builders work fast and often miss things. Usually they are small and most builders offer a window where they will come back in and fix things. I wouldnt wait to find out after you have moved in.

Good Luck
Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The builder said the inspector is not allowed on the roof or in the attic because of insurance liability reasons. So should I hire the inspector to come back out after we have bought the house to inspect the roof and attic before the warranty is up?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

that sounds like a load of B.S. to me.  As far as the roof goes, they should be able to just check the roof from a ladder at several points and get a idea.  The roof I wouldn't worry about to much as if it is a new house you should have plenty of warranty against roof leaks on a new home.

The attic is another story.  If they are doing crappy ductwork, wiring, etc it is essential for an ispector to be able to get a look at all that stuff.

One thing, a house inspector is on the job, and knows they are in a "construction" environment.  For the builder to have any liability there would have to be negligence on their part/  If the inspector were to just fall off the roof due to his own issues, it would fall under his workers comp/disability coverage.  The only way being he is on the clock that the builder would be liable would be something like:

some roof tiles are not attached properly and therefore when he "walks" the roof, some tiles slip causing him to fall.

He is walking around in the attic and a joist is not properly installed causing him and/or the ceiling below to fall through.

There is no legitimate reason for them to not allow a thorough home inspection unless they do not trust their own work.  That would give me pause about the builder.  Personally, I would not give in on this.
Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

bull!!!

if the builder pulled that on me, i would walk!!!

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.