Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan and mortgage question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment loan and mortgage question

A few years ago I took out a unsecured signature loan of 3k.  Montly payment 225.  As of today the balance on the loan is 600 and some change and due to payoff in April.

I'm scheduled to close on April 30th.  I'm sure they'll run another credit check in early April?  My question concerns this loan and how it works with my DTI.  I read somewhere on here a car note with less than 10 payments remaining is not figured in the mix.  Would that be the case with this signature loan?

Will paying this off hurt or help me on the next credit pull?  My guess I take a temporary hit, and in my situation better to just let it ride?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Installment loan and mortgage question

@Anonymous wrote:

A few years ago I took out a unsecured signature loan of 3k.  Montly payment 225.  As of today the balance on the loan is 600 and some change and due to payoff in April.

I'm scheduled to close on April 30th.  I'm sure they'll run another credit check in early April?  My question concerns this loan and how it works with my DTI.  I read somewhere on here a car note with less than 10 payments remaining is not figured in the mix.  Would that be the case with this signature loan?

Will paying this off hurt or help me on the next credit pull?  My guess I take a temporary hit, and in my situation better to just let it ride?

^^^That 10 payment rule varies by lender and in fact many lenders count the debt against your DTI up until it is actually paid off. Some lenders will drop it with six months remaining. You can not rely on this to occur at all. You will need to ask your particular lender how they handle the last few payments of an installment loan.

Do you have other installment loans reporting? If not, then you may see a small drop in your score if you pay it off early. I am only guessing based on the many posts in the auto section where the scores dropped temporarily when the loan was paid off. To be safe, you might just let it ride.

Message 2 of 22
Peter1142
Established Contributor

If your last credit check wasn't long ago (under 60-90 days depending on the lender), they will just do a soft pull before closing and will not check your score and the loan reporting as closed and paid will have no effect on your closing. If you are closing April 30th, and the loan will be paid in full in April, it is likely the effect on your score will not hit in time to effect your mortgage.

Message 3 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

^^^That 10 payment rule varies by lender and in fact many lenders count the debt against your DTI up until it is actually paid off. Some lenders will drop it with six months remaining. You can not rely on this to occur at all. You will need to ask your particular lender how they handle the last few payments of an installment loan.

Do you have other installment loans reporting? If not, then you may see a small drop in your score if you pay it off early. I am only guessing based on the many posts in the auto section where the scores dropped temporarily when the loan was paid off. To be safe, you might just let it ride.

I'd been told the 10 payment rule doesn't exist period anymore as of 1-2 years ago, does it still vary some by lender?  The few I talked to suggested it changed across the board and not just them admittedly that's to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway it's pretty clear from my perspective: if you're not clearing the DTI hurdle, then write the check; however, if you're fine on the DTI side, let it ride.

@Anonymous: softs can still have scores with them depending on what they're purchasing.  Hard vs. Soft is just whether the inquiry gets lodged on your report or not.

        
Message 4 of 22
Peter1142
Established Contributor

@Revelate: This might be true, but the point is the score is not relevant for qualification. The pre-closing pulls are not done to check scores, it is a manual review for any major changes to the file.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they don't like the loan with two payments left on it (?!?!) they will almost certainly simply tell you to pay it off at close. I can't imagine they are going to hold up a mortgage over what at that time will be 1 payment due for less than the full payment.

Message 6 of 22
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

If they don't like the loan with two payments left on it (?!?!) they will almost certainly simply tell you to pay it off at close. I can't imagine they are going to hold up a mortgage over what at that time will be 1 payment due for less than the full payment.

No, it isn't over 1 payment, using your example. A Chase LO explained to me that if you make application with the vehicle payment then the assumption is you will always have the vehicle payment; if not this payment then the next one you finance. If the payment affects your DTI then you will qualify for a lower mortgage.

If you make application and you have no payment the assumption is you won't ever have a payment.

Sounds strange to me - but that apparently is why they count the payment right up to the last one.

Shane, Dallas or any other underwriter or LO - please correct me if I misunderstood the LO's explanation.....Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, it isn't over 1 payment, using your example. A Chase LO explained to me that if you make application with the vehicle payment then the assumption is you will always have the vehicle payment; if not this payment then the next one you finance. If the payment affects your DTI then you will qualify for a lower mortgage.

If you make application and you have no payment the assumption is you won't ever have a payment.

Sounds strange to me - but that apparently is why they count the payment right up to the last one.

Shane, Dallas or any other underwriter or LO - please correct me if I misunderstood the LO's explanation.....Smiley Embarassed

Im in the process of getting a USDA direct,  and the lady handling mine said that my personal loan won't be used for calculating DTI, though they may make it a condition of closing that I pay it off. currently <4 payments left at 274.55/month which makes a significant difference in my DTI. I don't really care either way, I'm just letting it auto pay for the time being. Once I am approved I don't care if it is paid immediately, at closing or they just let it run. The money is there, so whatever makes them happy is fine with me.I cant imagine I would be closing til may at the earliest, so I will have 1 or 1.75 payments left.

Message 8 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Peter1142 wrote:

@Revelate: This might be true, but the point is the score is not relevant for qualification. The pre-closing pulls are not done to check scores, it is a manual review for any major changes to the file.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but we've had anecdotal stories of people's credit that's improved during their mortgage process affecting their rate, why wouldn't the reverse necessarily be true or are you assuming a rate lock period which I didn't think stood if there was a major change on a credit report?

        
Message 9 of 22
Peter1142
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Peter1142 wrote:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but we've had anecdotal stories of people's credit that's improved during their mortgage process affecting their rate, why wouldn't the reverse necessarily be true or are you assuming a rate lock period which I didn't think stood if there was a major change on a credit report?

The credit scores are good for a period of 60-90 days, as per the lender's guidelines. If your credit score improves you can ask for a credit repull. You are typically guaranteed the rate based on your credit score when your credit was pulled, unless it expires. It would be an underwriting and consumer rights nightmare if the rate you got was based on the credit score pulled the day before closing.... of course if they found a major negative change on your credit report in the pre-closing soft pull, they will then have a basis for repulling with score and reevaluting the loan and likely delaying your closing as a result. But paying off an installment loan is not a negative change (it is a positive thing) and they wouldn't have that basis. At least this is my understanding (and my experience), I am of course not a mortgage professional.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.