Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest Rate vs Credit Score question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interest Rate vs Credit Score question

I asked my potential lender what credit socre was needed to reach the next level for a better interest rate.  She started double talking about how she can't tel lme that because it is different for everyone.  My mid mortgage score is 710 and I wanted to know what score I should aim for but she wouldn't answer that.  She just did a bunch of double talk about down payment, etc affecting the interest rate so there was no answer to that question.  Is she right, or should I just skip the bank completely?  I won't let her do a hard pull or file a loan app until I know I am where I need to be DTI wise.  I want a loan in the $180,000 range.

Is this a sign of things to come and I should I just skip her and move on in mortgage lenders?  This is a courtesy application because we ride motorcycles with the Bank President and when we buy something they never flinch just ask what we bought and do the paper work.  They lent money during the whole banking debacle and no one else was lending.

I haven't submitted a loan app with anyone yet because I really want to get a few things done first.  Namely the one CC to 1-9% and pay off one of the car loans (yes I know I have a potential to drop my score with this but must do it for my DTI).  I can't pay off the higher one because it hasa balance of $29000.  The second payment has a $9182 balance.  I have a 401K loan but from what I understand  the 401k loan, life inrsurance, etc will not count against my DTI.  I have depleted my savings paying down debt so right this instant I have about a thousand dollars in savings but my husband will be giving me the money for DP and closing costs.  We do not intermingle monies, accounts, and irs filings due to his credit issues.  I live in Oklahoma which I believe is not a joint property/ debt state.  The bank doesn't report the car loan to TU and it is my highest mortgage score.

INCOME  5316/ month

Car Payment $568

(Car Payment I want to pay off $434)

Medical Collections $25.00 from September 2011 showing on report February 2012 I dispute it because I did not see doc and disputed but it wasn't removed and I have had the dispute info removed.  (Oklahoma has a 2 year statue of limitations and Collection Agency says it is illegal for them to delete from CR and refuse to do payment for delete)

Equifax  Fico 848/ Score 5 710

Trans Union Fico 818/ Score 4 800

Experian Fico 836 / Score 2 699

US Bank Visa $3045/ $22,500, Discover 0/ $13900, Comenity Bank/ Atylrl 0/ $1500, Sears/ CBNA 0/ $2001, Capital One/ Best Buy 0/ $4800, Best Buy CBNA (was actually bought by The Capital One Card August 2013 and should show closed but doesn't on Equifax and I pray they don't do this before I get a mortgage) 0/ $4800

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Interest Rate vs Credit Score question

The interest rate does tie in with your score for conventional loans, not so much for government insured loans (like FHA). 

Also, the higher your score, the lower your PMI rate will be - and that is huge if you aren't putting down 20% on the purchase.  With conventional loans and a LTV above 80% you have to qualify for both the loan itself and PMI.

There is a significant difference in PMI rate if your mid score is 720 or above. The best rate for PMI is for borrowers at 760 or above (mid score).  Here is a chart for one of the PMI companies (there are only a few in the country) https://www.mgic.com/rates/rate-cards.html

From where you are right now, 720 could be very achieveable quickly.  And the difference between the rate at 720 and 760 is relatively small, but the rate for less than 720 is substantial. Take a look at the link for borrower paid MI fees - paid monthly.  There are different types of MI you might want to explore too- for example Lender Paid MI, but your interest rate increases if the lender pays for your MI.

If you are putting down 20%, then the PMI doesn't matter because there is no MI charged  Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will likely be an FHA or Section 184 loan  2.5 % down, a one-time 1.5% up front guarantee fee is paid at closing and can be financed into the loan, and with a loan to value of 78% or greater will be subject to an annual .15% mortgage insurance premium.

Not sure what any of that means though.

I had a Fannie Mae home loan in my name from 2002 through 2006 so does that disqualify me as a 1st time home buyer?  I was never late.

Message 3 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You are considered a first time home buyer (again) if you have not owned property for 3 years or more. The clock starts from the date you transferred the deed to the new buyer. I know this is true for Fannie, Freddie and FHA. I don't know anything about the Section 184 loan or USDA. I suspect USDA follows FHA standards, but I don't know for sure.

Back to your original post:  if you are going FHA you don't need to do anything with your score, you are fine Smiley Happy  The MIP (mortgage insurance premium) for an FHA loan is charged in two ways:  the UFMIP (Up Front MIP) paid at closing and usually rolled up into your loan (you can pay it at closing if you want but you have to request it) and the monthly fee which is 0.85 basis pts of the amount borrowed. eg, if you borrow $100k (as an example, your monthly MIP will be $70.83). The UFMIP for FHA is 1.75%.  These MIP rates for FHA are automatic and you only have to go through mortgage approval. If you are approved for an FHA loan, you are automatically charged this rate. It does not fluctuate with your credit scores.

Message 4 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I see that the Section 184 loan actually falls under the perview of HUD, just like an FHA loan. Here are a couple of links for you about the Section 184 loan to get you started in your research

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/ih/homeownership/184/...

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/ih/homeownership/184/...

Link for Section 184 underwriting guidelines are here:  http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/ih/homeownership/184/processing/chap5.htm

Message 5 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked my potential lender what credit socre was needed to reach the next level for a better interest rate.  She started double talking about how she can't tel lme that because it is different for everyone.  My mid mortgage score is 710 and I wanted to know what score I should aim for but she wouldn't answer that.  She just did a bunch of double talk about down payment, etc affecting the interest rate so there was no answer to that question.  Is she right, or should I just skip the bank completely?  I won't let her do a hard pull or file a loan app until I know I am where I need to be DTI wise.  I want a loan in the $180,000 range.

I'd like to comment on a couple of thinsg in your post.

1) Please understand that a loan officer quotes from a "rate sheet" which is a matrix-type document. On that rate sheet are many factors one must select in order to provide an accurate mortgage rate for a specific loan scenario. What you perceive as "double talk" is her way of providing general information to you while you in turn are looking for specific information ... which brings me to point #2.

2) No one can give you an accurate rate quote without having had an opportunity to collect and review a lot of documents ... starting with your credit report. To expect anyone to give you a meaningful rate quote without the credit report at a minimum is silly.

3) Personally, I consider all rate quotes to be meaningless until a borrower can lock a rate. It takes a lot to get to that point.

I'm just sayin....

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW, consider myself put in my place Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ezdriver wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to comment on a couple of thinsg in your post.

1) Please understand that a loan officer quotes from a "rate sheet" which is a matrix-type document. On that rate sheet are many factors one must select in order to provide an accurate mortgage rate for a specific loan scenario. What you perceive as "double talk" is her way of providing general information to you while you in turn are looking for specific information ... which brings me to point #2.

2) No one can give you an accurate rate quote without having had an opportunity to collect and review a lot of documents ... starting with your credit report. To expect anyone to give you a meaningful rate quote without the credit report at a minimum is silly.

3) Personally, I consider all rate quotes to be meaningless until a borrower can lock a rate. It takes a lot to get to that point.

I'm just sayin....

I'm nowhere close to an expert but if a lender won't let me look off the rate adjustment sheet they're using (I can read the Fannie Pricing Adjustment guide as well as they can IMO) I'd consider finding another one.

Yup, it doesn't mean squat until the rate is locked, but the pricing adjustment sheets that the individual lender works off of should be available if I request... some even post them online.  Sure the difference in my rate between now and the end of the year could be 3.75 vs. 4.0 (for the sake of the argument), but if I know I'm going to be at 4.0 now because I put less than 25.1% down (and this was true for all conforming conventional mortgages for condos I could find and it's straight off the Fannie worksheets) why not at least give me the chance to optimize my financial situation and make the informed tradeoff between DP and rate?  There's one too for 700 vs. 720 as well in Fannie land too for that matter that I was running up against (and hence my being bouncing off the walls happy at clearing 720 on my trifecta mid score).

Could give other examples just from my discussion with Chase today even, mortgage rates are more than just FICO score even though that dictates where you get slotted into for the matrix, it's still a multivariable equation when it comes to determining rate, and I'd be willing to bet the pricing adjustments don't change all that often: they certainly don't for Fannie / Freddie.

Why would a lender not disclose their pricing breakpoints to me unless they were trying to be, well I'll charitably call it opaque?  No thanks, be transparent or I will find a lender that will be... thousands of mortgage lenders out there and I only need 1.

Possible the right question didn't get asked but if my LO is vacillating over this, what is to suggest anything would be different in the future?  I'm a somewhat informed consumer, at least let me make an informed decision.

        
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA is misleadingly known as a first time home buyer program. You don't need to be a first time home buyer or wait any amount of time to receive another FHA loan.

I personally have had FHA loans in the past 3 years with no lapse in time between the two.
Message 9 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes you can have FHA loans one after the other, but the op was specifically looking for the definition of a first time homebuyer. I assumed she was looking for down payment assistance because that is how that question usually comes up. There is nothing wrong with having an FHA loan selling that property and financing the next property FHA. But the second purchase doesn't qualify for down payment assistance if less than 3 years has elapsed. If I made an error in my assumption about down payment assistance then naturally my answer doesn't apply.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.