Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest Rates

tag
diveforfun97
Frequent Contributor

Interest Rates

A question for some of your mortgage gurus.  In your opinion, how long do you think the interst rates will remain as low as they are? I am looking to buy my first home, with a VA mortgage. I am trying to fis up a few baddies,a dn I was wondering if I will have enough time to pull this off.  Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.

Starting Score: Sep 23, 2014 EQ 577 TU 583 EX 567
Current Score as of 6/28/17 EQ 628 TU 643 EX 625
Goal Score: 700
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interest Rates

Is "it depends" an ok answer Smiley Happy

Rates are going to be, in general, lower than historical averages for a bit here. By that I mean we're not in the normal mode where a refinance boom is followed by a period of sharply (like 2%+ jump) higher rates.  That would require the economy to take off and that isn't happening right now. 

For today's absurdly out of context 6-week stay at the lowest rates ever, that already looks like it is starting to cross over and that rates are trying to move higher.  All technical signs say the rally is ending.  Will rates be 4.5% forever?  Absolutely not.  It's a powder keg needing one spark.  What no one knows if that is today, next week, next month, etc.

Message 2 of 4
diveforfun97
Frequent Contributor

I appreicate the pretty direct answer, well as direct as a guess could be.  Again thank you!

Starting Score: Sep 23, 2014 EQ 577 TU 583 EX 567
Current Score as of 6/28/17 EQ 628 TU 643 EX 625
Goal Score: 700
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on the credit fix.  You're in the right place. 

If your credit recovers before the economy does, you're in a good spot.  As the economy goes up, so do rates, home prices and rents. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.