Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest rate and FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interest rate and FICO score

Generally speaking, if I refinance my home from a 30 year loan to a 20 year loan, will that increase my creit score? The interest rate will be 2 points lower and the savings on the interest payments is significant.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interest rate and FICO score

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally speaking, if I refinance my home from a 30 year loan to a 20 year loan, will that increase my creit score? The interest rate will be 2 points lower and the savings on the interest payments is significant.

Interest rates on loans do not affect credit scores.  In fact, when you refinance, because you're going to have a new account reporting, a lower average account age, and a new inquiry, your score may go down a bit.  But with time your score will recover.

The bigger issue is that you stand to save gobs of money on interest, and in my opinion that's what matters above all.  We strive for higher FICO scores in order to snag those great interest rates.

Message 2 of 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Interest rate and FICO score

@Lel wrote:

The bigger issue is that you stand to save gobs of money on interest, and in my opinion that's what matters above all.  We strive for higher FICO scores in order to snag those great interest rates.

+1

Never be FICO score poor.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.