Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest rates - dropping or raising?

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Interest rates - dropping or raising?

I'm currently in underwriting on my loan for a new condo which closes at the end of June. I wanted to lock in my rate for 60 days two weeks ago, but when I talked to the builder he suggested I wait another week before I locked it in. At that point, to lock in my rate at 3.875% my origination fee would have been ~$800. I waited a week and talked to my LO, and she said that it had gone up to $1100 because rates crept up. She said wait another week. Well this week they went up again and now that same fee is over $1500! I know I have a good bit of time till I close, but I'm worried this trend will continue and I'll have to pay more and more for the same rate. Do you all think that there is a chance they'll head downward again in the next 6 weeks? I'm really frustrated the builder told me to wait, but I was worried if construction was delayed my rate lock would have expired!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Interest rates - dropping or raising?

I have a daily notification from the CU I intend to refinance with. The number was 3.5% on a 30 year fixed rate for a long time, and about a month ago it went up to 3.625% and has been staying there since. I'm in MI. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
MTSN
Regular Contributor

I wish my LO would send me a daily sheet so I don't have to keep bugging her. I might hold on a bit longer to see if they drop at all since I won't close for at least 6 more weeks..

Message 3 of 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yup I have heard they are going back up. Right now we are where we were at last summer.

Message 4 of 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

I just signed up through their website. I haven't seen a lot of places that offer it. Mine was at umcu.org and at memberfirstmortgage, but obviously, those are for my specific lender. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.