Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting refinance mystery

tag
alank

Interesting refinance mystery

Hi All,

I recently refinanced my mortgage away form Bank of America to my local credit union.  Since I was paying PMI for the BofA mortgage and the BofA rate was above 5%, this turned out to be a big win for me.

Today, I received a check from BofA in the roughly amount of 12 months of PMI payments. The check stub menentioned "ESCROW BALANCE REFUND"

While the mortgage was with BofA, the only item that was included in the escrow account was the PMI; no real estate taxes, no insurance.

The BofA statements always included the PMI as a monthly expense and not a once a year expense, and the escrow balance varied between 0 and $220, depending on timing of mortgage payment and application to balances. 

Needless to say, I was not expecting this. My only question is this a typical situation in a  PMI to non-PMI refinance?

alank

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting refinance mystery

Don't know the answer but wow that must've been an impressive check!
Message 2 of 6
alank

Almost $3K. I thought the envelope contained yet another outrageous BofA re-fi offer.

I am going to cash this check like it was on fire.

alank

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea lol!
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

did you ever pay extra on the mortgage?

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
alank

Nope.  The only thing I can think of is that the payoff that the CU performed was in excess of the final balance of the BofA loan. 

alank

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.