Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Investment home

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Investment home

I'm considering the purchase of a 2nd home to use as a rental property for family.  It seems like someone in my family is always in need of a place to live, and with the bargains out there on townhomes, I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge. 

Do all lenders require 20% down for an investment home, or does that vary from lender to lender?  I'm thinking of going with PenFed or my local CU, but will likely wait about six months.  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Investment home

they will likely require:

20% equity in first home

a decent down payment

ability to pay both mortgage without rental income.  In other words, you have to still fall within normal DTI ratios even with both mortgages.

Message 2 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

mickie08, in your experience, would forming an LLC specifically for the purpose of investing in this property change any of that, assuming an adequate down payment?
Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

20% to 25% down for a rental property, unless you go with Fannie Mae's HomePath program, which is where you can purchase eligible properties with only 10% down (for rental) and 3% down (for primary).  http://www.homepath.com/
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 6
pattycake
Established Contributor

Do the homes have to be listed on the site, or can they just be homes owned by Fannie Mae? 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

They have to be on that website.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.