cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Investment property mortgage = revolving credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Investment property mortgage = revolving credit?

On a recent credit report, any idea why a primary mortgage on investment property (a rental home) would be classified as "revolving credit" on the credit report? Do you think re-classifying the rental mortgage as "real estate debt" would raise the FICO score? If it is possible to get the rental mortgage reclassified, any suggestions about how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Investment property mortgage = revolving credit?

Was this purchased via a HELOC or similar arrangement, as opposed to a conventional loan?

What is the balance now (very roughly)?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was purchased originally with a conventional loan, but now also has a HELOC on it. The current market value is about $610,000 with total debt (1st mortgage and HELOC) of about $446,000 currently.

Message 3 of 6
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I don't know if it is possible to reclassify it. But I will say that doing so may (or may not) improve your credit score. I have a mortgage on my home, and one on a rental property. On my EX report, one of the reasons they give for my score not being higher is too many mortgage/installment loans.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting--just the reverse in this case. The reason EX score isn't higher is because there is "too much" revolving debt. So my thought was to get the rental property mortgage reclassified as "real estate debt" and thus possibly improve the score.

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting--just the reverse in this case. The reason EX score isn't higher is because there is "too much" revolving debt. So my thought was to get the rental property mortgage reclassified as "real estate debt" and thus possibly improve the score.

If you pulled from a service that offers an EX score, then ignore the score and advice as neither would be FICO-related. Experian blocked access to your FICO some time back. I mention that because FICO does score HELOCs as a revolving, but only to a certain limit. In your case, your account is viewed as an installment loan by FICO. Having anything changed won't impact your FICO.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.