New Visitor
mlwcfp

Investment property mortgage = revolving credit?

On a recent credit report, any idea why a primary mortgage on investment property (a rental home) would be classified as "revolving credit" on the credit report? Do you think re-classifying the rental mortgage as "real estate debt" would raise the FICO score? If it is possible to get the rental mortgage reclassified, any suggestions about how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Investment property mortgage = revolving credit?

Was this purchased via a HELOC or similar arrangement, as opposed to a conventional loan?

What is the balance now (very roughly)?

New Visitor
mlwcfp

It was purchased originally with a conventional loan, but now also has a HELOC on it. The current market value is about $610,000 with total debt (1st mortgage and HELOC) of about $446,000 currently.

Established Contributor
emptypockets

I don't know if it is possible to reclassify it. But I will say that doing so may (or may not) improve your credit score. I have a mortgage on my home, and one on a rental property. On my EX report, one of the reasons they give for my score not being higher is too many mortgage/installment loans.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (4), Chase (5), Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, DC Premier MC, Macy's AMEX; Several store cards.

Current Scores: EQ (6/14): 800; TU MyFico (6/14): 814; Walmart TU Fico 08 (10/2014): 813; EX (6/14): 775
New Visitor
mlwcfp

Interesting--just the reverse in this case. The reason EX score isn't higher is because there is "too much" revolving debt. So my thought was to get the rental property mortgage reclassified as "real estate debt" and thus possibly improve the score.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

mlwcfp wrote:

Interesting--just the reverse in this case. The reason EX score isn't higher is because there is "too much" revolving debt. So my thought was to get the rental property mortgage reclassified as "real estate debt" and thus possibly improve the score.

If you pulled from a service that offers an EX score, then ignore the score and advice as neither would be FICO-related. Experian blocked access to your FICO some time back. I mention that because FICO does score HELOCs as a revolving, but only to a certain limit. In your case, your account is viewed as an installment loan by FICO. Having anything changed won't impact your FICO.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}