Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 640 the key factor!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 640 the key factor!

I will be looking into a home loan this year. What is the key factors for a home loan and what should your credit score be to qualify?

Thanks Everyone

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is 640 the key factor!

580 FHA & VA

660 Conventional

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

580 FHA & VA

660 Conventional

Doesn't Fannie go down to 620 based on their Eligibility Matrix?

        
Message 3 of 8
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Most banks overlay a 640 minimum score requirement. While you can get some loans with a lower score, in most cases there will be a high interest rate attached.

Message 4 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Agree that 620 for conventional is where the market is now. 660 sounds like a lender overlay. IME I haven't seen the 640 requirement for either conventional or FHA for at least a year. 

FHA can go to 500 but then there are other changes to the loan required (mainly larger down payment of 10%).  Most lenders I have worked with will tell you that you can get a FHA loan at a min of 600.

Remember lenders change their guidelines as the market changes.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You!

Message 6 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Agree that 620 for conventional is where the market is now. 660 sounds like a lender overlay. IME I haven't seen the 640 requirement for either conventional or FHA for at least a year. 

FHA can go to 500 but then there are other changes to the loan required (mainly larger down payment of 10%).  Most lenders I have worked with will tell you that you can get a FHA loan at a min of 600.

Remember lenders change their guidelines as the market changes.

But isn't a 640 score still required for automated underwriting on an FHA loan?

Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Not from what I have seen. Here is a better explanation: http://www.fhahandbook.com/credit-scores.php

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.