Did you mean: 

Is Hazard Insurance an automatic?

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is Hazard Insurance an automatic?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Every area has different rates for homeowner's insurance. Here in Northern CA, a reasonable estimate is for the annual insurance premium to be 0.25-0.30% of the purchase price. For example, a $250,000 home would have an annual premium of $625-750 per year (or about $52-62 dollars per month). Places like Florida can be more than five times as much. 

I'm in Florida and the  insurance cost for my $110K condo is $938 which includes hurricane coverage.  

Wheatherguy, for most condo's the building insurance is included in your condo maintenance fee. Check your condo's budget and Master Insurance policy to be sure. The insurance that is typical for condo's in Florida is the interior contents coverage - and with the rate you are quoting that sounds about right for interior coverage if you are in S Fl. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in NE Florida and my homeowner's insurance is 154 per month, on a 2490 sq ft house.

I would like to shop around for rates but I'm leery because I had a claim in 2012 for a new roof after a big tree fell on my roof.

How much of an impact does a past claim have on rates with a different insurer?  I was thinking of trying USAA, happy with auto insurance.

I know they have a database with past claims in it, but cant remember what it is called.  Anyone know?

Message 12 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It is called CLUE.

Here is a good explanation page for you: https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs26-CLUE.htm

Take a look at this link too  https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/fact_act_disclosure.jsp

Try shopping insurance rates with an insurance broker. They can be excellent for getting the best coverage with the lowest rates and telling you the truth about the insurance co (quality of co and ability to pay claims etc)

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When buying a Florida condo you will have to consider two insurance polycies. Master policy provided by your HOA as part of your monthly maintance payment, and HO6 policy. HO6 policy is only required when you have a mortgage. For more informaiton about condo fiancing and insurance (mod deleted link check your pm)

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.