Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PMI required for VA loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is PMI required for VA loan?

I'm guessing the answer is no, hoping I'm right, I' budgeting for a VA loan next year

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
empiror22
Regular Contributor

Re: Is PMI required for VA loan?

PMI is not required for a VA loan. 

Message 2 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You are right - no PMI. It is one of the best things about a VA loan. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!

I was also reading that the closing cost is fixed at 1% for VA loans. This will save me quite a bit of money up front, which is great.

This is my first time using my VA benefits since I got out of the military

Message 4 of 16
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure about the 1% closing costs?  I think the 1% only refers to a particular fee, perhaps the funding fee for the loan.  I can't imagine closing costs would be limited to this.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 5 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Agree with Dan, no way the closing costs are fixed to 1%.  Speak to your LO for details and have him prepare a closing costs worksheet for you. Many of my buyers get VA loans and the closing costs are much higher than 1%. Even the VA funding fee is higher than 1%. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's actually the Loan origination fee that is capped at 1% according to the VA website

http://www.benefits.va.gov/phoenix/pdf/rlc/closing_costs.pdf

Message 7 of 16
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Like everybody said no MI on VA and you can even have real low FICO scroe !!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We just closed on our VA loan. No PMI, Loan funding fee can be rolled right into the loan (we were not going to do this originally, but our home appraised a lot higher than we were contracted for so we rolled it in). Also nice with a VA loan - we had enough concessions from the sellers that we ended up only paying 106.00 at closing (and a week later had a check for 6 bucks in the mail from the Title company because apparently we overpaid. Lol) Our goal was to pay enough upfront so that the loan wouldn't be more than the value of the home but also with as little out of pocket as possible. It worked for us Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

No PMI and if you have a service connected disability the origination fee is waived. 

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.